Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC New Build Help

Options
  • 24-06-2016 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

First time self build but I figure why not save myself some money but im kind of nervous about the whole process. It will be mainly used for 3d and VFX work but also for gaming and possibly streaming. I have an old XPS case also but I was told it cant be used as dells stuff is custom? I have no idea where to buy parts etc so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1. What is your budget? 2000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? 3d Graphics, VFX, Games, Possibly streaming. Nividea Graphics card preferred due to 3d programs.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No I have windows 7

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 850 watt Zalman Modular Power supply

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no

8. When are you purchasing? ASAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah you'll need a new case

ATX Case €150
    GTX960 €200
    16gb RAM €80
    250gb SSD €75*2 €150
    Z170 board €100
    i7 6700 €300
    2tb HDD €90
    Total €1070

I don't know if there's need in going higher, you might need a stronger GPU but that'll add another 300 max. The prices I've listed are for quality parts all round so you can't go much higher there either.

Just buy the lot from Amazon for piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You'd be mad to pay €200 for a GTX 960 when a far superior GTX 970 / AMD RX 480 is ~€260!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€272.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€56.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€124.85)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€124.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€133.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP Edition Video Card (€478.34 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case (€76.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1334.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 13:35 CEST+0200

Motherboard is compatible & available at Mindfactory.de
    GTX 1070 & GTX 1080 prices are still fluctuating.

*edit*
    DDR4-2133 instead of DDR4-3200

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MidgetWarden

Thanks for the responses so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I would have thought a 1070 was way ott for OPs needs, even a 970.

I'm not actually aware of what a 960 costs now, never took into account that the prices had dropped.

I would have thought a 1070 was way ott for OPs needs, even a 970.

I'm not actually aware of what a 960 costs now, never took into account that the prices had dropped.

IMHO if you have the budget, get a new-gen GPU now - more VRAM, cooler running, and faster should mean you get 2-3 more years out of it than a GTX970.

• Advertisement

Well with some 3d rendering programs eg "Keyshot" you can do real time rendering with your Graphics card so its probably worth paying the extra.

Is liquid cooling hard to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

What games are you planning to play? 1070 since you have the budget

Games like Dayz, Arma 3 , But its also supposed to function as a work PC so I have to factor that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

Games like Dayz, Arma 3 , But its also supposed to function as a work PC so I have to factor that in.

Graphics card woould make no difference to a work pc

Well by work PC I am talking about vfx and 3d.

I tried posting a link to a GPU rendering blog but it wont let me link. But a graphics card is a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Oran17

I've recently built my first PC for CG/VFX/3D work, My budget was just under €3000. I done a good bit of research before and looking at your budget i'd say.

Go for an i7 with as much cores as possible maybe an i7 6900k about €1100, I went for second hand dual xeons (24 core) and while you can get secondhand/ES xeons quite cheap you will have to spend more on a motherboard,cooling,case ect... and one big advantages is large amount of RAM that can be used on the Mb 512gbs+ compared to normal boards which tend only to go to 64gb, so you will be spending more on additional DIMMs, personally I would NOT go for a single xeon compared to a new i7.

A Graphics card will be needed and I think in your situation a 1070 is a no brainier if you are gaming and rendering(Don't bother with any of the quadros they are more for engineering and similar things)

For RAM Low cas high hz is recommend, Certain things such as water,fluid smoke simulations will require A LOT of RAM but is you have no plan on doing any of them sorts of things then 32-64 should be good for most general 3D work.

i7 6900k €1100
    GTX 1070 €500
    ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Intel X99(Can support upto 128GBs of RAM) €250
    (2x16)32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 €230 (Get this twice if you need 64GB)
    Power(Mid tower) €100
    Case €100
    Cooling €100
    +shipping ect

This Build comes in closer to €2500,I got all the prices from mindfactory.de, if you shop around you should be able to get better deals,and if it is still too far off your budget the first thing I would do is get cheaper RAM or then a cheaper video card, It is easier to upgraded these things in future.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Well with some 3d rendering programs eg "Keyshot" you can do real time rendering with your Graphics card so its probably worth paying the extra.

Is liquid cooling hard to install?

liquid cooling? yes, no, depends. What were you thinking? AIO for CPU/GPU? or custom loop? AIO's are the easiest way to go for cpu. The gpu AIO's are very expensive because most come with the card attached. Although corsair do a hybrid. Custom loop honestly doesn't really have an advantage over a top of the range air cooler. Water cooling is really only for aesthetics and the sheer joy of it. I know because i have the bug :eek: The blocks and fittings are extremely expensive but if it's something that interests you then go for it. Make sure to post a few pics of your finished rig when you complete her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Your first build. Personally I'd leave out the liquid cooling.

Save money and extra hassle. By all means get a case that can accommodate it down the line. But for now are great air cpu coolers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Your first build. Personally I'd leave out the liquid cooling.

Save money and extra hassle. By all means get a case that can accommodate it down the line. But for now are great air cpu coolers.

Yeah i'd have to agree. A cpu AIO would be a good start to watercooling and easy to install.

Thanks for all the feedback lads.

This is what im looking at going with. Is it worth going for an OC version of the graphics card and I read on the intel website that the ram is not compatible but on the Gskill website it says it is?

If I was to dump the water cooler what is a nice quiet alternative?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€347.57 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€60.30 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€147.85 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory (€170.14 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Sandisk X400 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€132.03 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€174.41 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card (€498.60 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case (€108.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1639.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 16:48 CEST+0200

I'd avoid the Founder's Edition GTX 1070 & get a dual/triple fan model, e.g.
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-KFA2-GeForce-GTX-1070-EX-OC-Edition-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094571.html

You can drop to i7-6700, it won't really matter too much in games tbh.
    Alternatively, upgrade to i7-5820k and don't worry about it for the foreseeable future :pac:

For CPU cooler, almost any model >€30 and with a 120-140mm fan will be quiet.
    I have a SilentiumPC Fortis 3 HE1425 and can barely hear it most of the time.

Advertisement