Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me Find a Destination in Greece

Options
  • 24-06-2016 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I am looking for a short sun break away. My wish list would be Agios Nikoloas but it seems really expensive for good quality hotels, and I was also looking at Thessaloniki and Chania. I've never been to Greece before but I would like a holiday for R&R that would be a mix of beach, culture and archaeology. I don't want to go to the tourist hubs. I want to experience the real Greece. I also want it to be within a short enough distance of the airport, but I would be willing to transit and do multiple internal flights within reason cost pending. Has anybody been to Agios Nikoloas, Thessaloniki or Chania before? Would you have any recommendations for a hotel that's in the vicinity of a local village, that's not a dive, has restaurants/shops for essentials nearby but it's also on or near to the beach? I'd also consider other destinations that are not on that list - so feedback would be much welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

I've been to Greece many times and we are going again this year. One of our favourite places is the island of Naxos and I think it could be just what you are looking for. It is the largest island in the Cyclades with a full time population and not solely reliant on tourism. It has the most most beautiful beaches, some within walking distance to Naxos Chora (the main town) and others accessible by bus such as the fabulous Plaka beach. The town is built around the old Kastro or castle and there is a maze of streets with bars restaurants and shops. There is a real buzz there and people are so friendly. There are loads of historical sites on Naxos and the most eye catching is the Protara by the port- Google it to see, it's amazing.
    There are lovely villages to visit in the mountains where you see the traditional Greek way of life.
    I have always stayed by St Georges beach which is so central- just a short walk to the town. There are a good selection of hotels an studios within all price ranges so I suggest having a look on booking.com ir trip advisor to find something in your budget.
    We fly Dublin to Athens and then get a flight from Athens direct to Naxos. You could also get s ferry but flying is much quicker. Olympic air is the airline to Naxos.

You can do day trips to Mykonos and Delos as a combined trip. On our next visit we will take some day trips to the nearby islands known as the small Cyclades.

This will be our third trip to Naxos so we are big fans. Hope this helps you with your decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement