Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Irish address (and debit card) to PayPal account

Options
  • 23-06-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I see there are two PayPal megathreads, but couldn't find the answer to this...

I'm a longtime PayPal user but the account is linked to a US bank account and US credit card and mailing address. I want to add an Irish credit card, but it won't let me add a non-US address. Am I correct in thinking that I need to set up a separate PayPal account to use an Irish address and link to Irish bank account or credit card? Oddly my existing account allows me to keep a Euro balance.

If I set up an Irish PayPal account, will it be completely separate from the US one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yeah, my existing US PayPal account allowed me to add a default shipping address in Ireland, but it is still linked to a US-based account and debit card, and somewhere in my profile doubtless thinks I still live at my last address in the US. I would sign up for an Irish PayPal account, but I don't want it tied to my Irish bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Speedwell wrote: »
    Yeah, my existing US PayPal account allowed me to add a default shipping address in Ireland, but it is still linked to a US-based account and debit card, and somewhere in my profile doubtless thinks I still live at my last address in the US. I would sign up for an Irish PayPal account, but I don't want it tied to my Irish bank account.
    I created an Irish account last night. It's linked to an Irish debit/Visa card.

Had problem when I went to pay for an Irish membership renewal last week. I thought it would give me the option of paying with an Irish credit card, but once I logged in it defaulted to paying in dollars from a dormant US bank account with zero balance. At least it was a reminder to close that bank account. But the transaction is still active in PayPal, can't cancel it yet - seems to be going round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

leck wrote: »
    I created an Irish account last night. It's linked to an Irish debit/Visa card.

Had problem when I went to pay for an Irish membership renewal last week. I thought it would give me the option of paying with an Irish credit card, but once I logged in it defaulted to paying in dollars from a dormant US bank account with zero balance. At least it was a reminder to close that bank account. But the transaction is still active in PayPal, can't cancel it yet - seems to be going round in circles.

Right, I maintain my US bank account for things that require payment in dollars (like dealings with the IRS and with Immigration) and because I have an existing IRA in that bank. So it is an active account and I still use it.

If I were you I'd either ask the recipient to reject the errant payment, or hunt down a phone number for PayPal and ask them to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

1800 948 510

01 4369023

• Advertisement
Advertisement