Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO/ College offers process. Help

Options
  • 23-06-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I just found out that I'll be going on holidays from Aug. 18 to 25th.
    Thats the day after we get the Leaving Cert Results.
    Would I have to be home after the 17th for College courses? Or can I accept the college courses after the 25th without compromising my college offers? Or is that too late of a date?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

If I recall correctly, you have one week to accept your offer. So, if the results come out on the 17th, you should definitely accept before the 24th. You should be able to do it online, so as long as you can gain access to a computer with internet and you have your login details, you should be able to accept your course while you're on holidays. :)

Sorry. That's wrong. The CAO offers come on Monday, right? So you should be able to accept an offer between the 22nd and the 29th. Ideally do it before the very end to avoid accidentally missing out on accepting your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kaneki

A97 wrote: »

Sorry. That's wrong. The CAO offers come on Monday, right? So you should be able to accept an offer between the 22nd and the 29th. Ideally do it before the very end to avoid accidentally missing out on accepting your place.

Yeah. I just checked CAO. 22nd of August are the first offers. But it says expected in brackets? Does that mean it could be earlier?

Missing out on a place? Its a first come first serve basis? Meaning if I dont accept straight away. I wont be able to get a place? But the school counsellor has suggested to wait it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Kaneki wrote: »
    Yeah. I just checked CAO. 22nd of August are the first offers. But it says expected in brackets? Does that mean it could be earlier?

Missing out on a place? Its a first come first serve basis? Meaning if I dont accept straight away. I wont be able to get a place? But the school counsellor has suggested to wait it out?

No it's not first come first serve. Just don't forget to accept your first offer unless you don't want to accept it for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

What I meant to say was that you might not want to wait until the last day just in case the website goes down for some inexplicable reason or if you lose track of time. That's all. I can't see why accepting your offer once you return from your holidays would be a problem since you'll be back before the deadline. :)

How does the offer round works? My councillor was vague-ish about it.

Round one of offers comes out.
    My courses are International bus. , Tourism marketing, Tourism management. ( in order )

I accept International bus. But later decides its not for me. Can I still change it? Within a timeframe before Round 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Round one of offers comes out.
    My courses are International bus. , Tourism marketing, Tourism management. ( in order )

I accept International bus. But later decides its not for me. Can I still change it? Within a timeframe before Round 2?

No. That's why you should put them in the order you want. How it works is the people with the highest points for the course get offered first. If there are 10 places in the course then the top 10 people (points wise) who put that course down first get offered. You accept it or you accept nothing. If you don't get offered your first (i.e you were not in the top 10 for example) you may be offered your second and so on. Theres no rejecting your first choice and picking your second

No. That's why you should put them in the order you want. How it works is the people with the highest points for the course get offered first. If there are 10 places in the course then the top 10 people (points wise) who put that course down first get offered. You accept it or you accept nothing. If you don't get offered your first (i.e you were not in the top 10 for example) you may be offered your second and so on. Theres no rejecting your first choice and picking your second

So theres no rejecting my first choice. But if I was offered my second choice first and I accept that.
    But in round two. They offer me the first choice. Can I change my second choice for my first choice?

I have two first choice. Level 7 & 8. What if I accepted Level 7 first since no Level 8 was offered. But second round, I get offered level 8. Can I choose level 8 instead? & vice versa?

Thank you so much for clarifying some things about the CAO. Lessened some of the stress of picking a college & hoping for the points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So theres no rejecting my first choice. But if I was offered my second choice first and I accept that.
    But in round two. They offer me the first choice. Can I change my second choice for my first choice?
    Yes. You can move UP your list if you are lucky enough to get a higher offer in R2, but never down. So make sure your list is in the order you want them!!
    I have two first choice. Level 7 & 8. What if I accepted Level 7 first since no Level 8 was offered. But second round, I get offered level 8. Can I choose level 8 instead? & vice versa?
    Yes, they're two separate lists. But the last one you accept is the one that sticks, regardless of which list its from.

PLEASE go and read the CAO handbook!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes. You can move UP your list if you are lucky enough to get a higher offer in R2, but never down. So make sure your list is in the order you want them!!

Yes, they're two separate lists. But the last one you accept is the one that sticks, regardless of which list its from.

PLEASE go and read the CAO handbook!! ;)

I'm still in favour of a multiple choice, driver theory test style CAO test that all LC students must pass before they can proceed with their application. :pac:

Advertisement