Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade with Wow Legion in mind

Options
  • 23-06-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    I am looking for some advice on upgrading/rebuilding two PC's with WoW Legion in mind. This is the game we mainly play, we don't play any FPS any other games really. So i'm thinking, be that right or wrong that I don't need anything super powered.

Below is what we currently have (both machines are about 6-7 yrs old). I'd be hoping to either improve PC1 and do a complete rebuild for the 2nd one or if necessary look at two new rebuilds.

If I could get the two machines sorted for as little outlay as possible with a max budget of 1500 that would be great or am I kidding myself and will I need to outlay more.

I'm open to building again, I lack confidence but should be able to manage it or would I be better off going with the likes of Box.co.uk for a ready made machine, I dislike Dell/Alienware so they are a Last resort (badly burned with them before).

Thanks for you time and help with this.

PC 1:

MB: ASUS P6T, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3, ATX, SLI&CrossFireX, Firewire, GbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
    Processor: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W, Boxed w/fan
    Ram: Corsair 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL8
    GPU x 1: GeForce GTS 250 - 1 GB GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0 (TT-GTS250-1GD3E-HDMI)
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower Black Fans: 3x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Top, 2x 120mm Rear, Blue LEDs, Window
    PSU: 1,00 PCS 348996 Corsair HX 1000W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Modular, 6x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA, 140mm Vifte
    Drives: 2 1T drives, one is for back up and is the Barracuda I believe.
    - Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 1 TB - 7200 rpm - 32 MB - SATA (ST31000528AS)

PC 2:
    Standard Ankermann Case that they all seem to have.
    MB: Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
    Processor: Intel Quad CPU Q9500 @ 2.666 Ghz
    4 GB Ram
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 260 (Direct X9)
    PSU: Unknown as of now.
    Drive: 500 GB but with two partitions: 120 GB and 380 GB or something like that.

Wow legion Recommended setting are:
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3330, AMD™ FX-6300, or better
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750 Ti or AMD™ Radeon™ R7 260X or better
    Ram Min 4GB

Regards,
    Aalana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Aalana33 wrote: »
    If I could get the two machines sorted for as little outlay as possible with a max budget of 1500 that would be great or am I kidding myself and will I need to outlay more.

Short on time to spec one up for you, but you should comfortably be able to build solid systems for €750 each. You are definitely better off building it yourself. Most of your components probably aren't worth carrying over at this point though.

What monitors are you using?

Usually people like to see this format filled out on this board. Will likely help you get a good response:
    Can you fill this out?

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aalana33

Thanks you for the fast response.

1. What is your budget? [€750 per machine or total of 1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games) Game World of Warcraft and Generic Internet/Family use.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] Yes
    One machine is running XP so need to update that.
    2nd machine has Windows 7 Home Premium EN OEM, 64bit, if I can transfer that well and good, if not then I'll also need an OS, I'd like windows 7 again if possible otherwise windows 10 64 bit.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    Yes:
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower
    PS: Corsair HX 1000W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Modular, 6x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA, 140mm Vifte

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] I hadn't planned on it but I'm open to it.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No] Dell 22Inch monitor E228WFP: 1680 X 1050 and View Sonic Va2213W, 1920 x 1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Would be nervous of it unless hand held through it.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Any of these

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] Before Aug 2016

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] Based in Cork.

Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Aalana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

For PC1 you are looking at probably a new GPU at a minimum. It will be held back by that old i7 though...

For PC2 probably full change of the guts, as long as that case is ATX compliant. A quick google of the motherboard shows it's "uATX Form Factor" so... maybe?

WoW is relatively reliant on CPU grunt so i'd say this is a great place to start:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/p3gsJV

You could change the motherboard to an ATX instead if you want.
    DO NOT BUY THE R9 390 GPU!!!!

I have put it in there as a price indicator. You will want to get a RX 480 once they are released at the end of the month.

Slap these bits in each PC. Use the 1TB hard drives you have as bulk storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd suggest H170 motherboard instead, same price basically.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€199.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€88.60 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€48.67 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€67.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (€249.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€74.27 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €728.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-23 18:57 CEST+0200

AMD RX 470/480 are out next week and look to be same performance as GTX970 but cheaper & more VRAM.

Advertisement