Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Waterford (for singles)?

Options
  • 23-06-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all in Waterford,
    I will be based near Waterford city for the next few months, most likely staying in a b&b. I'm mid 30's and single and will need to find activities to put my evenings in.
    I work long hours so my question is what can I do in Waterford after 7 in the evenings??
    I like jogging, walking, getting out etc. the usual things but I an also quite shy and have no connections in Waterford. I wouldn't be comfortable going into a pub/restaurant on my own at night. Any other single people and what do you do in the evenings??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

mid30slady wrote: »
    Hi all in Waterford,
    I will be based near Waterford city for the next few months, most likely staying in a b&b. I'm mid 30's and single and will need to find activities to put my evenings in.
    I work long hours so my question is what can I do in Waterford after 7 in the evenings??
    I like jogging, walking, getting out etc. the usual things but I an also quite shy and have no connections in Waterford. I wouldn't be comfortable going into a pub/restaurant on my own at night. Any other single people and what do you do in the evenings??
    Thanks.

Well there is any number of things to do mostly involving you getting out there meeting a group or something...archery, book clubs, gym , toastmasters, other classes, roller derby Waterford Viqueens, other sports, getting involved in a charity....the list is long but pretty much the same stuff you would do normally wherever you are from. There are a few running clubs, you should check them out, they are out running on the streets often and have plenty of nights out. Waterford road runners probably have some sort of internet site.
    You are spoiled for outdoor activities with the coast and mountains on your doorstep.a few surfing lessons in tramore would be exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Walk on Tramore beach, then stop in one of the cafes for a coffee. Have it there or take it away & sit on the prom, I guarantee people will talk to you.
    There are also any number of clubs, hobbies and sports, but that's a lot of effort when you could be chilling on the prom with a coffee.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you like jogging, running etc, join a club like Waterford AC or the Saturday Road Runners,
    Good way to meet new people,

If you like walking join a hill walking club, again same idea and great way to see Co Waterford and other places,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Central Arts seem to be putting up a lot of events for the summer. Might be worth checking those out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP, I would also recommend Toastmasters as a great way to kill a few hours and meet new people. Meetup also has a few groups that go hiking, cinema trips etc.

Just be warned OP, of all the places I have lived in here and abroad, Waterford is a very very closed shop at times and is filled to the brim with groups of people who still have the same friends now as they had day 1 at primary school and this can come across as quite clannish and unfriendly, it certainly shook me the first few months as it seemed no outsiders were welcome but if you go to some of the groups above that should help a lot as you are all in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mid30slady

Thanks so much to you all for that.

I have heard from many people what you said Wanderer2010 about people sticking together, so I thought I would try have things organised before I go there.

I will look up the running groups (I'm looking for 5/6k runs ideally). Does anybody know names of any of the walking groups? I will look at it properly over the weekend, I had a quick glance and didn't see much. I will also try Tramore, the beach and cafes sound great.

Don't know if Toastmaster is what I am looking for but I know it is there so thanks for that too.

Really, I just don't want to sit in a b&b each night on my own while I am there and would love to have some company so I am not on my own every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have heard from many people what you said Wanderer2010 about people sticking together, so I thought I would try have things organised before I go there.

I will look up the running groups (I'm looking for 5/6k runs ideally). Does anybody know names of any of the walking groups? I will look at it properly over the weekend, I had a quick glance and didn't see much. I will also try Tramore, the beach and cafes sound great.

Don't know if Toastmaster is what I am looking for but I know it is there so thanks for that too.

Really, I just don't want to sit in a b&b each night on my own while I am there and would love to have some company so I am not on my own every night.
    I'm sorry to hear that you heard similar to what wanderer said, as a person who has lived here most of my life I can't really comment on the locals, I hope people open up a bit, one or 2 friends in work and hopefully things will kick off.that's the way I did it when living elsewhere, obviously check social media, never know who you might already know here that you might not have seen years. On a positive note,I always find, in general, Waterford people are a good buzz , funny and up for a laugh, partial to a drink or 2 too.Viking marathon and other stuff on this weekend, might be good time to check the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mid30slady

Thanks Max Powers, I will be working with an elderly person so I don't think I will have the opportunity to do too much partying :-) but who knows.

I am there from Mid July so I will have a few things lined up to try. I'm the type of person who cringes a little inside if I go to a class on my own and others are there with their friends as I do find people can stick in their groups and not talk beyond the usual hello/goodbye.

I am looking forward to something different so hopefully it will be a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Waterford athletics club do a training session on a Monday night for beginners that might suit. I'm not sure the time but I'm sure you could find out! It's at the track in RSC on Cork Road. I would say it's aimed at people who can run a small bit but want to improve so if you are ok with 5km runs you'd be fine! It's cheap too, I think just a couple of euro a night and the people are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the main hill walking club in the city is the comeragh club:

http://comeraghclub.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/Comeragh-Mountaineering-Club-500901136610334/

last walk of the season is this sunday though but club will restart in september if you're still around. id highly recommend club open days for starting out as its not for the faint hearted. people have been turned away, generally due to the lack of correct clothing, but the open days are more or less a free for all. you more than likely wont be turned away

• Advertisement
Advertisement