Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really stupid wordpress question

Options
  • 23-06-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

So I've been roped into using wordpress to make a website (I'm absolutely in no way a web designer or developer but understand wordpress is somewhat of a dirty word)

I'm currently a little bit stuck. I set up the account and picked the theme and have slowly been adding pages and what not, but for some reason this talk box (the private: home one)

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 13.48.14.png

will just not fcuk off out of the way of my banner.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of it atall atall?

Also I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

WordPress is used by over 50 million websites. And is an excellent system.
    The "bad" press is mostly from people with little or no web knowledge making a mess of things and usually using weak passwords and no security.
    The box could be from the theme or a plugin. What theme are you using and what plugins have you installed?
    A link to the site might help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Does the box appear while logged out of wordpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Again, excuse the ignorance, this is really something I know nothing about!

In the end I tried a different theme and while the box was still there (I think it's got something to do with the fact that it was identified as the 'home' page) it shifted down off the image and I ended up much preferring the second theme I aanyway so I'm going to stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Diagnose WP problems:

Disable all plugins.
    If problem gone, enable plugins one by one until problem, it was last enabled.
    If problem exists still when all disabled, it's not a plugin, reenable, check themes.

Change theme.
    If problem gone, it was the theme.
    If problem exists still, it's not a theme, then the real fun begins.

Advertisement