Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer wants to tax lunch allowance

Options
  • 22-06-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help answer this question. I have been a rep for 16 years and never paid tax on lunch allowance. I have just changed to a new job and I'm their first rep so it's all new to the accounts dept and they have told me they will put the allowance through pay roll so I'll get taxed. Every other job I've had the lunch allowance went through expenses so not taxed. What's right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If it's put through expenses it's legal but certainly not an entitlement. Expensing it amounts to your employer funding your food and would be considered BIK taxable. An allowance is income and is taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Taken from Revenue
    Meal allowances

Employers are reminded that round-sum meal expenses payments are taxable in full and must be treated as pay. Please see earlier paragraph 'Round-Sum Expenses

However, vouched expenses (IE with a receipt) are not taxable. However, there are also Subsistence Allowances, which can be claimed within the State. Just not 100% clear on the criteria.

Advertisement