Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I repeat the leaving cert for the third time or do fetac???

Options
  • 22-06-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ive just finished my leaving cert for the second time and I'm not very confident in it. I need 340 points for ucd arts and I don't know if I could aim for that after I messed up my accounting exam....heavily. I know I've passed almost all my subjects but I don't know if I've received enough points for this course. So I just want to hopefully see if there's anyone who's in my boat(which I guess is very few) and if you've done fetac or repeat I would like to hear your advice thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I'm not in your boat. I'd just like to point you in the direction of the accounting thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057610780&page=3 Lots of people found it very tough. You may do a lot better than you imagined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This FETAC Level 5 course in Dun Laoghaire Further Education Institute might be worth looking at. It's only one year and if you do well enough, you can progress to do Arts in UCD (or NUIM, NUIG or UCC).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Likeabossno1

So just wondering what are my chances of going to college after doing fetac. Will it be relatively lower than repeating???

Thanks that made me feel better actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

So just wondering what are my chances of going to college after doing fetac. Will it be relatively lower than repeating???

I've no idea what the exact requirements are - I presume you'd need to get a certain number of distinctions - but it's generally easier to do really well in FETAC Level 5 than the Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Have a look to see if UCD have an access programme, you could get in that way providing you meet the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Personally I would say move on, do a fetac or a PLC even. If the LC isn't suiting you, maybe move on because college may suit you far more and personally, there's no point in repeating the LC for a 3rd time, you should just try something else, and there is always other ways into the course that you want, without getting the points that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Firstly, don't rearrange your CAO abased on how you think your exams went. Put what you want to in order, irregardless of points.

Secondly, I wouldn't bother with the LC for a third time. The system just doesn't suit you. A FETAC or PLC would probably suit you much better. I know someone who has been accepted into UCD Arts through a PLC in Liberties College in Dublin. I assume PLC Colleges throughout the country would offer the same.

I'd contact local PLC/FETAC college and start applying for places. Also get in contact with UCD to see the EXACT FETAC requirements.

Best of luck with your results anyway. Enjoy your summer too

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Firstly, don't rearrange your CAO abased on how you think your exams went. Put what you want to in order, irregardless of points.

Secondly, I wouldn't bother with the LC for a third time. The system just doesn't suit you. A FETAC or PLC would probably suit you much better. I know someone who has been accepted into UCD Arts through a PLC in Liberties College in Dublin. I assume PLC Colleges throughout the country would offer the same.

I'd contact local PLC/FETAC college and start applying for places. Also get in contact with UCD to see the EXACT FETAC requirements.

Best of luck with your results anyway. Enjoy your summer too

Thanks man. But I've also read they only have 25 places for their arts degree so with Dublin being a big place I was a bit worried of the competition is would face because of this. But I'm still researching into this

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Would you consider doing Arts anywhere else? For example, the Arts option in Maynooth where you do the first year in Kilkenny (MH901) probably has lower points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah move on from the leaving. look into all your options and dont panic, as theres always alternative options available to you, you might just have to look harder for them. theres always back doors into the courses you really want to attend, it just might take you a little longer and might cost you a few quid more. best of luck with it and seriously, dont be worrying about it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Merged and tidied.

Advertisement