Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you repeat the LC can you get the dole?

Options
  • 22-06-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im 18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

while in sixth year? No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

To be entitled to dole, you have to be actively seeking employment - you're not - you're in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jay262

To be entitled to dole, you have to be actively seeking employment - you're not - you're in school.
    I wont be in school much if I repeat so I could still seek employment

You will still be regarded as a student whether you attend one day or one hundred. The only way you can get dole at your age is to get a form stamped to say that you are leaving education.

• Advertisement

Jay262 wrote: »
    I wont be in school much if I repeat so I could still seek employment

You're still a student though. You have to be unemployed to get the dole. In the eyes of the government, the revenue office, and the social welfare, you'll be a student.

I see thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kaneki

Im 18

If you do repeat. Im pretty sure you could still get Child Benefits as you are still in Secondary school.

Kaneki wrote: »
    If you do repeat. Im pretty sure you could still get Child Benefits as you are still in Secondary school.

No. They end when you turn 18 even though you are still in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

I'm afraid not. Once you turn 18 you're no longer entitled to child benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Kaneki

luftmensch wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. Once you turn 18 you're no longer entitled to child benefit.

Weird. My brother was still getting Child Benefits even though he was 19 during 6th year. He just needed a letter from the school stating that he was still in full education. But then again that was 3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Weird. My brother was still getting Child Benefits even though he was 19 during 6th year. He just needed a letter from the school stating that he was still in full education. But then again that was 3 years ago

Yeah child benefits cut off as soon as you hit 18, good luck trying to get them to carry it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If you repeat as an external student, then in theory you could be available for work during the day and studying at night. There are lots of adults working full-time and studying at night. If you are available for work and can't get work then you should get dole. Of course it depends on your subjects. If there is a project component like in Geography or History (and others) then that requires the supervision of a teacher.

If you repeat as an external student, then in theory you could be available for work during the day and studying at night. There are lots of adults working full-time and studying at night. If you are available for work and can't get work then you should get dole. Of course it depends on your subjects. If there is a project component like in Geography or History (and others) then that requires the supervision of a teacher.
    Thanks for the info. I will definetly consider repeating as an external student but the subjects that i will probably repeat is engineering, construction and ag science which all require projects. Could i just go in to do these projects and then study at home. Would this also qualify me as a job seeker if i also looked for work?

Thanks for the info. I will definetly consider repeating as an external student but the subjects that i will probably repeat is engineering, construction and ag science which all require projects. Could i just go in to do these projects and then study at home. Would this also qualify me as a job seeker if i also looked for work?

No you can't study these at home - the project has to be completed under the supervision of a teacher. Also if you're going in and out to do those subjects - this is not possible either - you're either in or out. The school needs to know this for teacher allocations/insurance etc.

Registering as an external candidate will not entitle you to dole. The people that have been alluded to above are probably receiving back to education allowance and to qualify for that you must be 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

This is really coming across as though you want to repeat your leaving and get free money off the government, cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What about going to school and getting a part time job?

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    This is really coming across as though you want to repeat your leaving and get free money off the government, cop on.

I think it's more that they want to repeat, have time to study and not be a financial burden on their family. As another person said a part time job could work although whether they would have the time to study the leaving cert on top of the part time job is another question. That would be quite difficult as they would have school 9-4, part time job, then study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I think it's more that they want to repeat, have time to study and not be a financial burden on their family. As another person said a part time job could work although whether they would have the time to study the leaving cert on top of the part time job is another question. That would be quite difficult as they would have school 9-4, part time job, then study.

So we should give the dole to anyone who wants to repeat their leaving cert? What is stopping someone who gets 600+ points but wants to take a year out and "repeat" and claim the dole for the sole purpose of fleecing the state and having a handy year?

Sets a dangerous precedent if you give LC repeaters the dole if you ask me..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i think this could be showing where our 'free' educational system is going! best of luck op

• Advertisement

If you reckon you'll have so much time why not look for a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Those subjects would mean you would have to be in school and so you couldn't be available for work. That would mean you wouldn't be entitled to dole.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    What is stopping someone who gets 600+ points but wants to take a year out and "repeat" and claim the dole for the sole purpose of fleecing the state and having a handy year?

Can't you do that without repeating? Can't you sign on three months after the lc anyway?

Can't you do that without repeating? Can't you sign on three months after the lc anyway?

No, you are still a student until leaving cert results and if you are claiming, you have to get a form stamped from school that you are leaving education.

Advertisement