Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS 15" or Dell Latitude 5000 14"

Options
  • 22-06-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Have to choose between these too laptops for work. I want something light, portable, functional for meetings with a decent sized screen. The XPS will cost €1550 (i7 Core, Windows 10, 8GB, 256GB Solid State). The Latitude will cost €1300 (i5 Core, Windows 8, 16GB, 512GB Solid State). They are the same weight and similar dimensions but the XPS is thinner with a bigger screen. The Latitude is handy as has a scart connector and can attach to a port if I wanted to hook to a monitor.

Any advice on which option is best would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would be going with the XPS15, and I would most likely choose the 1080p screen, but I would definitely research the 4K option too. It's a powerhouse, easily upgradeable and has a great formfactor for its screen size.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭NFH

Cheers! Ya the screen is 1080p. The 4K option is defo over budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Dell outlet in UK might be an option, and you could squeeze in a better spec. I'm not convinced the 4K is fully supported in Win10 and Apps and games just yet. If 4k is something you really want then go for it. Otherwise I would be content with the 1080p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Wonder what the 4K screen is like on the battery. I must take a look at some of the reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The 4K screen cuts the battery in half from the reviews I read. It also is heavier. I've been trying to order a XPS 15 or a Insprion 15 7000 and they will give a deal on the 4k screen but not on the 1920 screen. I'd much prefer the cheaper screen. Also if you get a regular HD on the XPS, it take the space of the larger battery so you get the smaller battery.

Dell seem to only have a deal on the 7000 with the hard drive (and SSD) and 4k screen. Which will be the heaviest option. It will be a beast though. There were a lot of driver issue with these laptops. Long term reviews seem to suggest they are mostly resolved now.

I dunno which one to go for.

MobileTechReview on youtube has more than one review of the XPS anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Dell XPS 15- great alternative for MacBook, but the price......i think it's too expensive. $2000 (UHD)

Advertisement