Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants/fees for mature students - nursing

Options
  • 22-06-2016 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I'm 30 years old, with a level 8 qualification in Business Studies. I also have a basic professional qualification in insurance, and have done half of the professional accountancy exams.

I have been off work (and on illness benefit) for around a year now, and am unlikely to be in a position to return to work (or education) for several months. I've been considering a complete career change - possibly psychiatric nursing. I had always wanted to do something in the medical field, and got good Leaving Cert points (although I don't think they count much for mature students), I'd be good at aptitude tests and interviews etc too so I reckon I'd hopefully have a decent chance at getting onto a course. I'd be looking at starting in September 2017.

I've only recently started to consider this, and I know I have lots of research to do! My main question is, what sort of grants are available? And does the fact that I went to college already when I was younger affect my eligibility for grants? I'm completely broke (seeing as I'm currently living off only illness benefit) so the idea might be completely unviable unless there is assistance available.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 crsf88

There is an eligibility tracker on the SUSI website, it will tell you if youre possibly entitled given that you have a degree.
    My understanding is you have to have a number of years between degrees if youre not progressing in your field of study to qualify for the grant again.

Advertisement