Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interview on today FM Tues 21 June

Options
  • 22-06-2016 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

A guy was on telling the presenter about a tenants rights if faced with a rent increase and also why you don't have to accept an increase. Then on comes a lady from tenancy board to go through all the documents a landlord must fill out to get an increase. Basically I found it to be very one sided and all about the rights if a tenant to not have a rent increase. Nothing about the rights of a landlord to increase rent if justified.
    Did anyone else hear it?
    Ps I am not a landlord and don't want to be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

TheDriver wrote: »
    A guy was on telling the presenter about a tenants rights if faced with a rent increase and also why you don't have to accept an increase. Then on comes a lady from tenancy board to go through all the documents a landlord must fill out to get an increase. Basically I found it to be very one sided and all about the rights if a tenant to not have a rent increase. Nothing about the rights of a landlord to increase rent if justified.
    Did anyone else hear it?
    Ps I am not a landlord and don't want to be

Ya I heard it and it was one sided, but also accurate. The lady outlined what a LL must do to serve a valid notice of rental increase. If that is done in accordance with recent changes in legislation, then there is no issue for the LL in increasing rent. The tenant can of course dispute it but is liable for the backdated amount if he/she loses.

It certainly was not a balanced interview, but, it drives home the point that LLs need to know their stuff because tenants sure as hell know their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thought the tenancy board rep should have said rent increases can be backdated as I got the impression you could delay increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thought the tenancy board rep should have said rent increases can be backdated as I got the impression you could delay increases.

How could they be backdated if you have to give 90 days notice?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lux23 wrote: »

The increase, if determined valid by the RTB, is backdated to the date it would have come in on the original notice. The 90 day notice is not affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lux23 wrote: »

If the tenant takes a case to RTA disputing increase, it can take months for a decision. If the tenant loses, the rental increase is back dated to the first day the increase was too begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Doesn't fit a lot of the media narrative in this country at the moment to provide balance, just like politicians.

It resonates better with readers, viewers and voters to paint the picture of the poor victim or the tyrannical authority.

Advertisement