Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australia?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hey guys!? I'm currently saving to head over to Australia in late September, but will be a 'workaway" for the first while until I get a job since I hear that a bad time to head over. what jobs would you recommend? ive plenty of experience in assembly and farming so I'm hoping to knock out farming early af + I enjoy it!!! thinking of doing traffic controlling? is it worth it? any recommendations?! will be in Melbourne in September near shepparton volunteering for a few weeks too so hopefully that can lead to connections.. and was told to head to st Kilda? but still unsure since I'm heading alone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

peterswa wrote: »
    hey guys!? I'm currently saving to head over to Australia in late September, but will be a 'workaway" for the first while until I get a job since I hear that a bad time to head over. what jobs would you recommend? ive plenty of experience in assembly and farming so I'm hoping to knock out farming early af + I enjoy it!!! thinking of doing traffic controlling? is it worth it? any recommendations?! will be in Melbourne in September near shepparton volunteering for a few weeks too so hopefully that can lead to connections.. and was told to head to st Kilda? but still unsure since I'm heading alone...

I would go straight to Melbourne if you wanna work, peak time for arrivals is between Oct and November and they usually stay till April/May June - September would be the best time to get work in my opinion.

If your thinking of doing farm work id usually recommend Queensland. Shepparton can be decent but avoid Mildura. Living in Melbourne and if your looking to meet people st kilda hostels or city hostels are your best options. St kilda is full of Irish so if that's what your comfortable with then go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 peterswa

what type of job would you recommend first?! I'm slightly anxious at the job side since ive had literally no luck this summer even getting a follow up....first year of uni over and its the first summer in 4 years I havnt had steady work in some company.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

what type of job would you recommend first?! I'm slightly anxious at the job side since ive had literally no luck this summer even getting a follow up....first year of uni over and its the first summer in 4 years I havnt had steady work in some company.

I don't mean to be blunt but it would be difficult for anyone to recommend jobs for you.
    You haven't mentioned any qualifications so I'm going to assume you have no formal qualifications. Australia isn't any different from Ireland in the fact that employers will try to hire people with the skills and experience required to do the job. Without qualifications or experience you are looking at picking up minimum wage jobs. The problem with these is that you will be competing with unskilled Australians a lot of the time and employers are more likely to hire them over you.
    Your farming experience will benefit you and you will most likely find some farming work which would be a good place to start. Farming jobs are usually minimum wage but with lots of hours so you can earn some good money on the right farm.
    Traffic control jobs require you to have the right tickets and courses done which can be expensive so have a look at the cost of these if you interested in doing it. There seems to be a steady demand for traffic controllers and if you can handle extreme boredom then it might be something to look into.
    You mention you have completed first year at uni. Do you intend to finish the course? If you do then it might be worth waiting until you have done this before coming over without qualifications as you only get one shot at the working holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 peterswa

I'm changing course to computer science infrastructure and decided I might as well travel around Australia for year , I've worked in manufacturing for 4 summers + every holiday with a job title as "Electrical assembly". so between those 3 I should be able to get some form of consistent work? Waiting after uni is an absolute no btw, really itching for a break and its affecting my study haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm changing course to computer science infrastructure and decided I might as well travel around Australia for year , I've worked in manufacturing for 4 summers + every holiday with a job title as "Electrical assembly". so between those 3 I should be able to get some form of consistent work? Waiting after uni is an absolute no btw, really itching for a break and its affecting my study haha

In Melbourne anyone I know who has done factory/warehouse work is usually out in Western Suburbs which is other side of the city from St Kilda. Construction labouring, call centre or cafe and bar work are the most readily available kinds of work. If your happy with construction work you'll usually get work quick enough and the money is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How much do you plan to bring over?

I ask as I'm heading over in march as a holiday and will see how I like the country before I decide Wether to try work there or not.

I've no idea how much is reccomended to bring over so that's why I ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

St kilda has a bad name for drunken Irish with lots of brawling.

Advertisement