Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour trouble

Options
  • 21-06-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Wondering if anyone can help. My friend parks outside my house in the city and he has been away for a few days. The car got a flat tyre while away about 3 days ago and today my neighbour called my house mate aside and told us that she was going to have the car towed away as the flat tyre is making her ''look bad''. Car is in my parking space on private property at my rented house and no part of it is on her property. Can the neighbour actually have the car moved without my permission? I am sure the answer should be no but I cant find information specific to this online and I want to be sure

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, she can not. Car is not on public road and not an obstruction.
    However, do you have the keys and can fix the tyre for your friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alauraborealis

Thank you for your help! I don't have the keys but he should be back tomorrow or Thursday to fix it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Wondering if anyone can help. My friend parks outside my house in the city and he has been away for a few days. The car got a flat tyre while away about 3 days ago and today my neighbour called my house mate aside and told us that she was going to have the car towed away as the flat tyre is making her ''look bad''. Car is in my parking space on private property at my rented house and no part of it is on her property. Can the neighbour actually have the car moved without my permission? I am sure the answer should be no but I cant find information specific to this online and I want to be sure

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You might clarify a point, you said "outside my house" then " my parking space on private property"

Is the car in the driveway of the house, or a parking space in front on the house ? This might make a difference in a managed estate,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just a note, if your friend parks there and goes away again, have him leave the car keys with you.
    If the alarm goes off or there is some other issue you can access the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

If its parked legally I cant see how she can get it removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

You might point out to her that if it is legal for her to have a car that is legally parked on your private property towed, it is legal for you to have her car, that is presumably legally parked on her private property, towed.

Of course having her car towed is purely hypothetical and you would never actually do such a thing, nor am I recommending that you do it, especially since it is unlikely to even be legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I did'nt realise Mrs Bucket lived in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

If its on a public road and not illegally parked and has its tax up to date it cant be towed .
    I had a similar problem with cars parked on a private estate. there was on car that was parked up for nearly a year taking up one of the limited spaces available , while another resident had 3 vehicles, one of them he hadn't moved in months parked outside my door. I contacted the management company who put a notice up on both cars, it still took another 2 months before it was shifted.
    So if its only short term i wouldn't be worried

You might clarify a point, you said "outside my house" then " my parking space on private property"

Is the car in the driveway of the house, or a parking space in front on the house ? This might make a difference in a managed estate,

Once their is no permit parking it makes no difference if the car is on the road on in a private parking space, the neighbour can try what they want but the car wont be towed. In fact even if it was parked where permits etc are needed it still wouldn't be towed just fined. Only cars that are towed are ones causing an obstruction.

I'd be telling the neighbour where to go and not in a polite way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Tell her your friend just sold it to you and to clear off.
    It's a temporary sale ;)

Your neighbour sounds like a peach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement