Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines for LC Music practical?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm only studying music outside of school, I'm doing my LC next year. I play guitar reasonably well but I want to know if you can play electric guitar for the practical? I want to play, for example, a song like Master Of Puppets by Metallica or Raining Blood by Slayer but I don't know if this is allowed? Plus what are the other guidelines for the practical? I'm doing it as an elective too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

know nothing about music but maybe try not to be too "out there" with your choice. Not saying you should do Dolly Parton lol, just maybe not something called "Slayer":D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2g3if

are you doing music for your LC too? see I know nothing about the exams I need all the information I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ben_iclyses

yes you can play electric guitar and any songs that you want. You can use backing tracks to play along to during the exam or get friends to accompany you. The examiners don't really care what songs you choose but make sure the songs you do choose show your ability, e.g. don't play a song that only has a few chords in it.

are you sure and how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ben_iclyses

yep positive, i did the practical this year! for my practical I played 4 songs on drums in a band which was worth 25% and then i did music technology, also 25% (i'd recommend doing this as the technology is very easy.)

There is also an unprepared sight reading test which you can either do on your instrument, e.g. play a few chords on your guitar, or you can clap out the note values. I think its worth 5%.

There was a guy in my year who was playing heavy metal lead guitar over backing tracks using lots of distortion. You are definitely allowed to do it- The examiner is their to judge your ability, not your taste in music.

• Advertisement

and if I want to do the practical as an elective for an extra 25% then what? I do 8 songs?

oh and do I bring my own guitar and amp into the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2g3if wrote: »
    oh and do I bring my own guitar and amp into the exam?

Yup, bring yer own. Make sure you tell your school that your an extern when you go back to 6th yr. There's one of the schools teachers employed to do exam admin, career guidance, principal or vice will tell you who it is.
    You can play whatever instrument you like as long as there's some technique and learning in there. A bit of variety helps in terms of a program. Get others to listen to you play. Go easy on the distortion, for heavy metal keep a good tempo (try and get mates to play backing if you can).

thanks thats good ta know.

Advertisement