Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PG279Q or XB271hu or perhaps another option?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi

At long last my PC upgrade project is coming to an end. GPU and HDDs have all been upgraded so last but not least its time to get a G-sync monitor.

Right now I'm having trouble deciding between the Asus PG279Q and the Acer XB271hu. Everywhere I've looked online the Acer is cheaper (sometimes significantly so) and frankly I think its the better looking of the two monitors but the Asus seems to have better build quality and has a better OSD. I'm aware of the possibly backlight bleed on both monitors, thats just the price you have to pay for a large IPS display.

Any advice? Would you say the Asus is worth the extra money? Any other options I should be considering?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a huge amount of QC issues with both panels. If you look at the threads on overclockers for both you'll see that nearly every person have rma'ed their monitors back for issues such as backlight bleeding, ips glow, dead pixels, power issues etc. And the RMA processes for both Asus and Acer are a nightmare to deal with.
    I researched for nearly 3 months on the ips g sync monitors and ended up going for the Dell TN version. For the price of the ips panels its just not worth it with all the issues currently.
    I'm going to hold off until the second generation panels come out and hopefully Dell will release one as their support is excellent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

second the above ^^^^

Its a lottery, you might get a perfect panel but just as easily mightn't... and bare in mind trying to return them is not fun as well, their boxes are huge!

If that bothers you then save yourself the hassle and avoid them now, if you think you can live with a few dead pixels/black light bleed then give it a go and you might still get lucky. There are obviously people who have them and have had no issues, in which case they are fantastic monitors.
    Personally I think its a joke that these monitors, with known/expected issues can be sold like this and for the price they want!

I have the Dell TN panel and I think its perfect, sure its not as vibrant as an IPS panel but its not bad either and [for me anyway] it doesn't have a single dead pixel or any issue that I know of. It will certainly be my main monitor until I eventually move to some kinda OLED display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Dell monitor we are referring to
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

FYI it was a lot cheaper on OCuk a few months ago... I only paid like £430
    check the other retailers as well obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have the Asus and absolutely love it. Fantastic monitor.

I've not had any issues yet but now approaching two months in and I'm entering the period where they might start cropping up.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

It really shouldn't be this much of a lottery when you are dealing with screen this expensive. How is the QC on the PG278Q? I'd find it hard to go back to a TN panel I think but I'm keeping an open mind for now,

• Advertisement

The PG279Q seems to be out of stock everywhere so it seems I'll have a little bit of time to think on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The PG278Q is still an excellent monitor. I wouldn't be too afraid of it being a TN panel as it was one of the best available panels. Check out tftcentral for a proper writeup on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Just got the pg279q, luckily no issue at all! Was almost expecting one from all the bad reviews! Got it on ebay brand new for 700! Overall delighted with it. I think it comes to a stage where you have to just bite the bullet! A lot to forkout but can't see myself upgrading for years. Keep an eye on curiua.com for deals.

keep us posted on it..just got my dell one and gsync is absolutely amazing.

couple of things I came across.
    Nvidia has introduced a new feature where v-sync is automatically enabled with g-sync. It still feels laggy to me so I turned it off.
    Reason being your 144hz monitor will always be in sync.
    For games like CS you can set vsync off to get the extra fps.
    Also if you monitor supports ulmb you can set it per application so for instance g-sync on for the witcher and switch to CS ulmb is automatically switched to.
    I had some issues with the monitor going blank but it was due to some games where I hadn't change the resolution and monitor hz and I could only game in windowed mode.
    Battlefront it was that I forgot and I started it back up again and set it correctly all was good. Something to watch out for though.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    couple of things I came across.
    Nvidia has introduced a new feature where v-sync is automatically enabled with g-sync. It still feels laggy to me so I turned it off.
    Reason being your 144hz monitor will always be in sync.
    For games like CS you can set vsync off to get the extra fps.
    Also if you monitor supports ulmb you can set it per application so for instance g-sync on for the witcher and switch to CS ulmb is automatically switched to.
    I had some issues with the monitor going blank but it was due to some games where I hadn't change the resolution and monitor hz and I could only game in windowed mode.
    Battlefront it was that I forgot and I started it back up again and set it correctly all was good. Something to watch out for though.

How do you set it per application. ULMB is as much a draw for me as GSYNC. Being able to rapidly switch between them would be great.

Within the manage 3D settings you have global and another tab for program.
    Simply select your game and select ulmb instead of g sync.
    I'll post images later on tonight

Another thing..you need to set your refresh in the monitor section of the nvida control panel. Mine was running at 60fps as it was set at 60hz in the nvidia software..
    Got a few power save modes while gaming and I reversed out the icc profile which hopefully sorted it out.

I'm leaning XB271HU at the moment. QC is an issue for both but seem a bit less so for the Acer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Acer XB271hu

Perfect panel, no back-light bleed. Oh God everything is so smooth!

Advertisement