Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Final Offer

Options
  • 21-06-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

As title suggests in a Best & Final Offer situation. Never been in one before so anyone have any advice, strategies etc???

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a ruse by an agents to try to get people to overbid.

Bid what you think the property is worth to you and no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Isn't it the EAs job to get the highest bid?

The EA doesn't decide this final bid, the vendor does. I've done this myself when selling a property, if there are a couple of bidders I just asked each to submit a final bid in a sealed envelope, whoever is highest usually gets the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yep, this is my impression of the process as well.

If I can convince the head to rule the heart then will stick with what I think the property is worth.
    davo10 wrote: »

The EA doesn't decide this final bid, the vendor does. I've done this myself when selling a property, if there are a couple of bidders I just asked each to submit a final bid in a sealed envelope, whoever is highest usually gets the purchase.

True; just not sure if the bidding has stalled short of what the vendor wants so this is the last roll of the dice to squeeze a bit more out of the remaining bidders.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

davo10 wrote: »

It is but a "best and final" offer scenario is an attempt to get potential bidders to go "high" to see off the opposition and get their bid accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is but a "best and final" offer scenario is an attempt to get potential bidders to go "high" to see off the opposition and get their bid accepted.
    If it worked like that then every agent would use it in every case where there was more than one bidder.

The problem is if everyone bids only what they think it's worth, the highest bid will be lower than could have been achieved by ramping up the bids auction-style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are they just looking for your best offer or best offer with proof you can pay it? After a bidding war with another couple the agent asked us for sealed bids with proof that we could access the funds. We said thanks but no thanks but they didn't tell the other couple, who then ended up paying 65k than our previous highest offer :eek:

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are they just looking for your best offer or best offer with proof you can pay it? After a bidding war with another couple the agent asked us for sealed bids with proof that we could access the funds. We said thanks but no thanks but they didn't tell the other couple, who then ended up paying 65k than our previous highest offer :eek:

Is just another situation where you are at the mercy of the estate agent! I'm sure even if the other party had asked if you submitted a sealed bid the agent would have said yes!!

athtrasna wrote: »

Proof of loan offer only has been requested.

Advertisement