Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Management Recommendations

Options
  • 21-06-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend the best waste management company to use in the Dublin 6 area. My gf and I have recently returned to Dublin after living elsewhere for a few years.

Looking around the estate on Monday, it seems that Greyhound, Thorntons and Citybin all seem to collect in the area. Is there any advantage to using one over the other. I am aware that this issue is complicated further by the pay by weight debacle that has been in the news in recent days, however that seems to be deferred now for a year.

Getting genuine pricing from any of their websites appears to be difficult. It is a two person household so waste levels would be quite low. We are also well used to recycling and composting and would be conscientious about that also.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

if you're waste level is that low, seek out a bring center in your area and drop it yourself.You'll be saving a fortune.I do that here in my location, one garbage run every month and hoppa, 65 euro saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Citybin are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

if you're waste level is that low, seek out a bring center in your area and drop it yourself.You'll be saving a fortune.I do that here in my location, one garbage run every month and hoppa, 65 euro saved.

Thanks for the suggestion. How does that work? Does the bring centre charge per black bag of waste or for a car boot load? I understand recycling centres alright and there is a very good one near my homeplace. It's just getting rid of the crap that they won't take.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Citybin are brilliant.

Citybin are currently quoting 2.99 per week standing charge, 30c per kilo black bin, 20c per kilo brown bin and free for green bin. I thought the standing charge was high. Obviously it depends on what happens with pay per weight so I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thorntons are the best under the new pay by weight system. They charge €2 per week service charge compared to €3.25 greyhound and €2,99 city bins.

However to note these fees are not coming into effect until 1 July 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Seconded for Thornton's. I rang around when waste collection first went private, and they were best in my area at the time (though citybin was temporarily better on a fixed fee introductory offer a while after that). We're also a reasonably low usage household - compost bin is by far the most by mass, chiefly due to garden cuttings. When pay-by-weight information came out, I checked our usage levels (Thornton's has been weighing bins for a couple of years) and checked websites or rang other companies again, and they're still substantially cheaper.

Small caveat: I'm not sure what effect the 12 month waste price freeze will have. I think Thornton's still comes out best, I'm certain Greyhound is dearer, but it might be worth checking citybin.

Finally, there's a real cost to changing bin companies. Unlike other utilities, you will be charged for removal of bins you no longer want, and possibly for delivery of new ones. This means customer mobility will be particularly low because the costs take so long to recoup, so take a long view on the decision. And bear in mind you could have a really frustrating time getting someone to remove bins from the last owners or tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I signed up to citybin at, I think €17 per month. You get a full analysis of your usage across all 3 bins which will be useful data when pay by weight is introduced.

Advertisement