Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son broke window in neighbours apartment.

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Our 8 year old son accidentally broke a window in a neighbours apartment, directly below us. We're in a small two story apartment block, with 8 apartments. Two sets of three apartments share a front door, with the remaining two having their own.

The intercom system for the shared doors does not work, the landlord (who owns the entire block) is aware of this. Up until now, this has not been an issue as our son was never allowed out on his own. He was always with someone who had a key.

Yesterday, he walked home from his nana's house down the road, got here sooner than expected, and found the door closed and no way to contact my wife in the apartment. He panicked, thinking he was stuck, and followed the example of his nana who once tossed a pebble at our window when she forgot her key. Unfortunately he's 8, and has no hand-eye coordination, the piece of gravel didn't go up, but straight ahead into our neighbours window.

The neighbours are cool with everything, no hard feelings, our son has been over to offer an apology and a gift. However I'm wondering what people's experience is with regards the cost and if the landlord is likely to bill us for the repair? He's well within his rights of course. Also, if he does bill us, is this a good time to force the issue with the intercom system?
    If he offers to cover the repair, we'll just pick up one of those wireless doorbells to prevent this situation reoccurring. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Your son broke the window so it's up to you to cover the cost. The intercom should be fixed by the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Well, I'd think its fairly obvious that you'll have to cover the cost of the window repair.

As for pushing the doorbell issue, yes its a good time to ask, but really they're separate issues. AFAIK, its not an essential item in terms of what LL's have to have maintained by law, ie a fridge, cooker etc.

If the landlord digs in a refused to fix the doorbell, you just have to decide how big an issue that is for you, versus how much you like living there. IMO a smart LL who wants nice tenants will try to keep the place in a good state of repair, but some don't care massively in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Your son broke the window so it's up to you to cover the cost. The intercom should be fixed by the landlord.

Yupp, completely agree. I was wondering though, if people have had experience where landlords have covered the cost?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yupp, completely agree. I was wondering though, if people have had experience where landlords have covered the cost?

I'd imagine no landlord would or even should in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Why though? Just because someone else might have an exceptionally sound landlord has absolutely no baring on your case.

You're liable for the damage you son caused, first and foremost. Yes the LL should also fix the intercom, but thats a separate issue. You've no real bargaining power here.

Also, he may not charge you up front, but take it from your deposit when you come to move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not a hope would I cover the cost if I was the LL.
    A wireless doorbell can be got for €20 so that might be a solution. Alternatively a phone for the little fellah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Why tell the LL about the window at all. Just fix it yourself! Much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Must have been a pretty big pebble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why tell the LL about the window at all. Just fix it yourself! Much cheaper.

the LL should be told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fair play to your son btw taking responsibilty for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just arrange with your neighbour to get it fixed. The bells is a different issue.
    You could go down the route of your son being locked out and unable to contact you due to no bell and he panicked.

Advertisement