Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the leaving cert from home?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Don't really know where to begin...
    Basically I'm going into 6th year in September and really do not want to go back to school as I hate it that much!
    I still want to do the LC though as hoping to do an Arts Degree in Maynooth! The points for that are 350 and in the summer exams I got 410 so I'm way above what is actually needed!
    I'm quite an ambitious person too and am actually supposed to be deputy head girl in sixth year but I just really have no interest in going back to that school!
    Back in April/May I was in tallaght hospital due to mental health problems and believe school is the main source as to why.
    Advice on what to do would be appriciated, thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is it THAT school or any school?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

You can study for the LC at home, but some subjects have a project or practical bit, and generally need to be supervised or signed off on by a teacher. What subjects do you plan on studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Plutobreak1

_Godot_ wrote: »
    You can study for the LC at home, but some subjects have a project or practical bit, and generally need to be supervised or signed off on by a teacher. What subjects do you plan on studying?

I'm currently doing history, biology, French and music all at higher level!

Water John wrote: »
    Is it THAT school or any school?

It's school is general tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

The points for that are 350 and in the summer exams I got 410 so I'm way above what is actually needed!

5th year summer exams are nothing like the LC and shouldn't be used to predict how the actual LC goes. You still have another 3/4 year of learning to do and you have to be confident you will work as hard at home as you would do in school. I would advise against it personally but if you feel you can't last another day in school then perhaps it's the route to take. I'm not an expert, just a current LC student so I'd suggest talking to someone with more qualifications than me before doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Godot is right. Home schooling is rare in Ireland.
    Some people just don't like the structure of schools for one reason or another.

You will still sit the exam in a school afaik.

LordHypnos wrote: »
    5th year summer exams are nothing like the LC and shouldn't be used to predict how the actual LC goes. You still have another 3/4 year of learning to do and you have to be confident you will work as hard at home as you would do in school. I would advise against it personally but if you feel you can't last another day in school then perhaps it's the route to take. I'm not an expert, just a current LC student so I'd suggest talking to someone with more qualifications than me before doing anything.

Thanks a mill for the advice! It's much appriciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Thanks a mill for the advice! It's much appriciated!

Yeah you'd need to talk to someone qualified or your student counselor or something.
    Fifth year results aren't really comparable at all though, I went from 575 to 500 in the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The phrase you're looking for is "external candidate" or "external student". Google that and you'll get all the information you need on how to proceed.

I wouldn't recommend it though. I've known people who went that route and it's a very long, hard, lonely slog. I'd look into leaving cert courses for adult learners. They'll be more suited to independent study and less school like. You plan to go to university so you'll need to be able to cope in some form of academic environment post-leaving cert. A repeat college or adult learning course should be a happy medium between school and solo study.

Advertisement