Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left broken chair in common area, neighbouring tenant is not happy

Options
  • 20-06-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

If a warderobe/chair/table or whatever other furniture provided by the landlord falls apart of age and wear who is responsible for disposing of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If a warderobe/chair/table or whatever other furniture provided by the landlord falls apart of age and wear who is responsible for disposing of it?

How is this related to domestic violence?

Can you put the wardrobe out with the bins?

If the landlord owns it let them know, they may want to inspect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 something123

I was threatened to be barricaded in my apartment by another tenant if I don't dispose of the landlord's chair or take it back in. (It smells now as it has been out for few days next to general rubbish. There's no other place to put it other then in tight corridors where there is no light at night...) Somehow in his mind (tenants) I should be arranging disposal of it.

This armchair was in the apartment when I took it over. It was already old. For few months I managed to keep it to together with some tape but now no amount of bodging will hold it together.

I let the landlord know but he's not responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The landlord is responsible and you need to inform him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 something123

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    that is not domestic violence....

It it s form of violence and it is domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

So you've just dumped it outside because it fell apart?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You left an old chair in a corridor of an apartment block and you wonder why your neighbours are upset? Do you know that the refuse collectors will not take this chair away?

I think your neighbours have every right to be annoyed, it looks bad, it may be causing a safety issue in a tight corridor. You can't just dump your old furniture outside your door.

This is you and your LLs issue, take it back in and put it in the corner with a sheet over it and write to the LL requesting he/she remove it. This is not domestic violence, it is an annoyed neighbour telling you they will dump their rubbish outside your door if you dump yours outside theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread title updated. No need for the drama.

Previous posters are right in that you should not have moved the broken item to the common areas. The issue is between you and your landlord, it is unfair (to put it mildly) to inconvenience your neighbours in this way.

Advertisement