Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gandon Close Harold's Cross - opinions?

Options
  • 20-06-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

A friend is currently house hunting and he is interested in these apartments. He would like to buy there but he may rent there for a year first to try out the area.

Does anyone have any experience living in these apartments or nearby? Are they well built apartments and is there anything to report on them?

I know they are tiny but he's more into the location of them so willing to compromise on space.

Judging by a few we've seen 9some for rent, some for sale) they vary in size and the condition of all of them was quite poor - the bathrooms suffered with bad damp and they all felt quite cold inside.

Another thing is the pricing - I know prices are constantly rising but these have gone from €130k approx to €190k in less than a year which worries him. I personally think that for a dingy 1 bed apartment he could do better.

Any opinions welcome, he would love to hear from someone who has experience living in them.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hey guys

A friend is currently house hunting and he is interested in these apartments. He would like to buy there but he may rent there for a year first to try out the area.

Does anyone have any experience living in these apartments or nearby? Are they well built apartments and is there anything to report on them?

I know they are tiny but he's more into the location of them so willing to compromise on space.

Judging by a few we've seen 9some for rent, some for sale) they vary in size and the condition of all of them was quite poor - the bathrooms suffered with bad damp and they all felt quite cold inside.

Another thing is the pricing - I know prices are constantly rising but these have gone from €130k approx to €190k in less than a year which worries him. I personally think that for a dingy 1 bed apartment he could do better.

Any opinions welcome, he would love to hear from someone who has experience living in them.

Great location and only getting better. The bigger issue it that part of Harolds cross is a high risk flood area and was all underwater 4/5 years ago when there was lots of flooding in Dublin. So id factor that into the price

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't factor flood risk into the price. I would get a couple of insurance quotes using the exact address. If it's uninsurable you won't be able to get a mortgage.

Don't use only RSA underwritten brokers. Different underwriters have different criteria for assessing flood risk. I had a particularly irritating experience with 123.ie where they wouldn't insure my house because it had a trickle of a stream nearby despite there being no history of flooding in 39 years since the house was built, but they only disclosed this after they'd quoted and I went to take up the policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does your friend drive?
    If so- I can only tell you that trying to get into or out of the place- would drive Dante to write an additional echelon into hell.
    I've only been in one of the apartments there- visiting a sister who was temporarily renting- she moved as soon as she could (she was an intern in St. James at the time- and she wasn't able to cope with the traffic after a 24 hour shift).

Property is nice- location is good- trying to drive to or from- is appalling (even on the likes of a Sunday afternoon).

Advertisement