Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing Sentences Like This

• 20-06-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a thread "Would you Sell You Soul to the Devil? And for What?" and was wondering what drives people to do this.

Is there some odd grammar rule or precedent?

For anyone wondering - it's about using capitalisation for words that are not names or starting a sentence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's a title, like the title of a book or a film so I think people are applying the same rules for them as for this, even if they are getting a bit jumbled up.

When I look back over threads I've started I've used a mixture of styles myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

As for the starting a new sentence with and, I think its OK in dialog. People do make a statement, pause, gather their thoughts and then add to their statement by starting a new sentence with the word and because its still part of their (slow) train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

biko wrote: »
    I saw a thread "Would you Sell You Soul to the Devil? And for What?" and was wondering what drives people to do this.

Is there some odd grammar rule or precedent?

For anyone wondering - it's about using capitalisation for words that are not names or starting a sentence.

Your thread header does not need a capital letter for 'sentences'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

tac foley wrote: »
    Your thread header does not need a capital letter for 'sentences'.

tac

But Like and This are ok? It was an example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

He Just Missed The Point

• Advertisement
Advertisement