Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Max €14,000 budget

Options
  • 20-06-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I'm finally getting rid of my VW Golf. It's too low for me. I have back issues and it's a killer to get out of. Also with the type of country roads I drive it's hitting the road even at very low speeds (think grass growing up the middle country roads).

I don't want to sell privately as I haven't the time or the energy. All local garages quoted me a €7000 trade in price and I'm pretty happy with that. The Golf is a 08 1.9l diesel, blue motion engine. I'm happy with the size of the Golf, I just wish it was a bit higher.

So I'd like to come up to a 12 if possible. Probably a 1.6l diesel. I test drove a 12 Ford Focus and quite liked it but I think the €14,500 price tag could get me a better car. But the height is better than the Golf and I find it easier to get out of. That garage also has an 11 C-Max for €14,000, same engine as the Focus but for some reason I'm not loving the size or feel of it.

So any ideas of what kind of similar cars I should look at? I'd preferably like a hatchback as I lug a bike around a lot. I have 3 kids, one is a teenager so he sits in the front so room for 2 bickering kids in the back a must.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Crossover of some type

Kuga maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Crossover of some type

Kuga maybe

A 12 Kuga would add around €5,000 to the price wouldn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dacia Duster might give you what you want:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Dacia/Duster/LAUREATE-DCI/200914604707064810/

Quality will be down compared to the Golf but it has the higher driving position and room your looking for. Your also getting a newer car.

Thanks Bazz. I had looked at the Duster but I actually find it too big. I'd prefer a smaller car. Our car park at work is very small and tight but the golf is easy to park there and its no bother to reverse i and out of spaces.

Sandero Stepway? A bit shorter than a Focus but higher driving position:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Dacia/Sandero-Stepway/Alternative-1.5/201314654074425150/

Not the prettiest but what about a Nissan Juke?
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Juke/1.5-SV/201214622973530790/

Or it's less uglier sister the Captur:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Captur/LIFE-1.5/201114642649008190/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kia Soul.

I quite like the look of the Captur. Might give one a drive. I thought Renaults are crap cars. Is that a myth.

Going yo have a look at the Kia Soul now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Captur isn't bad. A bit smaller than. a Golf I reckon.

A Focus C-Max or similar might fit the bill? Not appreciably bigger but higher with an elevated seating position.

The Ford garage has an 11 CMax coming in soon that I'll take a look at. It has very low mileage and a price tag of €14,000.

My Dad has a 12 CMax and I'm not sure if I like it or not. It does have a good high position though so I guess it's one to consider.

An 11 reg C-Max is going to be the same as a 12 reg C-Max and they are around the same size as the Duster.

Renaults in the last number of years are no less reliable than most other brands, they come with 5 year warranties these days. Them and Nissans share alot of the same parts these days yet people don't seem to have a problem buying Nissans. The Captur and Juke are the same car bar styling and are smaller than a Focus or Golf but have a higher driving position too. If you want more space then look at the Nissan Qashqai.

• Advertisement

Just coming back to say I finally got a car last week. It's a 12 Focus. 1.6 diesel. Very low mileage. It's like a brand new car. I got it for the €14,000 with privacy glass and a hitch thrown in. Very happy with it and it's a dream to drive. Much higher off the road than the Golf too.

Advertisement