Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gtx 970 vs 1070

Options
  • 20-06-2016 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

so I am buying a new pc to play the latest games (my 480 isn't doing me much anymore) and i have all my parts picked but I can't decide whether to buy the 970 and save around €230 or buy the 1070.
    Any opinions?

Parts:
    CPU: i5 4690k
    Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    Mobo: MSI Z97 PC Mate
    Ram: 8bg Kingston hyperx fury black
    PSU: 650w Corsair CS650m
    Case: Corsair 200r

Cost without card: €625
    W/ 970: €945
    W/ 1070: €1176

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What about AMDs 480?

What kind of games do you play and what resolution/refresh rate is your monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dpnr

What about AMDs 480?

What kind of games do you play and what resolution/refresh rate is your monitor

Wow that was quick!
    Anyways i'm not really interested in amd cards I prefer nvidia and yes i know the price and performance of the amd 480 but i just prefer nvidia.
    I play most recent games witcher 3, dark souls, fallout, skyrim at 1080 but i'm having problems running some of these games.
    The witcher and fallout 4 give me under 30 fps most times and frequently my computer will shut off bc of overheating so i decided to upgrade

Just happened to be online

Well the 970 will play all those at Max 1080p60 no problem, for that type of stuff I'd say the 970 is lots, imo a 1070 would be wasted at 1080p unless you plan to keep it for several years. For the time being though, theres basically no difference between then in those games, though if you wanted to buy a card and forget about it for a few years then the 1070 may be worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bit worrying if the PC is turning off because of overheating,have you identified whats overheating?

Just banging in another GPU may not fix that problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

EoinHef wrote: »
    Bit worrying if the PC is turning off because of overheating,have you identified whats overheating?

Just banging in another GPU may not fix that problem

This.

An overheating GPU would not usually lead to a computer turning off but rather would cause artifacts on screen and eventually a stuck image. An old GPU of mine like to display repeating pink lines when it overheated.

• Advertisement

I took it to mean he upgraded the whole PC, as he's coming from a GTX 480?

Probably should have gone for clarification though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

My mistake,your right digital. I read it as a current build list rather than a part list.

As a matter of interest did you discover what was overheating in the old rig? May be worth a few quid on adverts if you could fix it up. Might help offset the cost of the new rig a little

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dpnr wrote: »
    Wow that was quick!
    Anyways i'm not really interested in amd cards I prefer nvidia and yes i know the price and performance of the amd 480 but i just prefer nvidia.
    I play most recent games witcher 3, dark souls, fallout, skyrim at 1080 but i'm having problems running some of these games.
    The witcher and fallout 4 give me under 30 fps most times and frequently my computer will shut off bc of overheating so i decided to upgrade

What CPU & CPU fan do you currently have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In your case I would probably go for a GTX970, 1070 price is totally off at the moment. Would be a waste right now to get a GTX1070 for 1080p - get the GTX970 now, and in a year or two you can upgrade to 1070 if you want when prices are way more realistic. At the moment it's almost twice as expensive as the 970 which is ridiculous, once the market normalises the price will drop sharply enough.

If you have a 2nd gen i5+, no need to upgrade the whole PC either. I agree that a computer abruply shutting off during operation is more likely to be a CPU overheating or PSU issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dpnr

For everyone asking i have a dell dimension 9200 4gb ram and a q6600processor it is a pretty old computer and the the gtx 480 has kept her going but what I believe is the cause of the recent shutdowns is the lack of wattage
    The gpu when playing witcher 3 goes over 100degrees which is very worrying.
    I'm not exactly sure what cooler it has but it is the stock one it came with when it was bought back in 2007 or 2008 so an almost 10 year old build is needed to be replaced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dpnr wrote: »
    For everyone asking i have a dell dimension 9200 4gb ram and a q6600processor it is a pretty old computer and the the gtx 480 has kept her going but what I believe is the cause of the recent shutdowns is the lack of wattage
    The gpu when playing witcher 3 goes over 100degrees which is very worrying.
    I'm not exactly sure what cooler it has but it is the stock one it came with when it was bought back in 2007 or 2008 so an almost 10 year old build is needed to be replaced

wow, i'm surprised you can even get 15fps in those games with a Q6600. The 480 is old but it would be massively bottlenecked by that processor....probably only being about 25% utilized if even! the 9200 doesn't have great airflow and the 480 is a monster for heat. you're right though a whole new PC is needed, you could probably get 130-150 or so for your old one.

Advertisement