Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 4g (lte) router

Options
  • 19-06-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

hey

im looking into buying a 4g (lte) router as my patience has ran out with my current setup m5350. for some reason it keeps dropping the connection even doh it says it has 3g signal it could be the 3 network thats the problem but i doubt it. it comes back after about a minute but it happens far too often that i just cant hack it any more. i tried another cheaper option other than getting a dedicated 4g router but that has been a bit of a disaster too.

heres the thread decribling what happened with that option
    search Huawei HG659b(Eir f2000) and USB Mobile Broadband

anyway back to the question from looking around
    3 huawei router look good to me these are the models
    Huawei E5186
    Huawei b593
    Huawei b315

any advice which to buy or would anyone recommend any other model?

thanks
    Grim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Three has been dropping my 3G connection for the last 10 years, afaik its a common feature of their network. I had the issue with many different dongles, routers and MiFi devices so doubt its a hardware problem. Neighbors have the same problem.

I can go for a week sometimes without the signal dropping then in one day it will drop half a dozen times. I also find that the service can get very slow and is faster after a reboot so definitely a network problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I can also confirm the intermittent 3G disconnection issues with my Huawei B593s-22, even when I was using iD Mobile broadband that piggybacks on the Three network.

Three 4G on the other hand is a lot more stable. Since Three brought 4G to my area a few months ago, I don't recall losing the connection apart from between my PC and the router due to Windows 10's temperamental Wi-Fi support.

So if you can pick up 4G reception with a Three mobile outside (even a weak 1 bar signal), it would be worth upgrading the router as these desktop routers have a much better antenna than in phones and the portable MiFi devices.

Otherwise, as far as 3G goes, a dedicated router like the B593 may help improve your signal and speed, but I'm fairly sure the intermittent disconnections will remain as my3cents also mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Yeah the exzact same problem here .. Connection dropping here every now and again and im using a router that cost 170 euro dobut its the router .. The 4G connection is a lot more stable than the 3G Connection

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

E5186 is the dogs proverbials.

BUT.
    Check Reception
    Check Network

Then:
    Add antenna/change provider

All those being complete, then upgrade your unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭grimeire

my3cents wrote: »
    Three has been dropping my 3G connection for the last 10 years, afaik its a common feature of their network. I had the issue with many different dongles, routers and MiFi devices so doubt its a hardware problem. Neighbors have the same problem.

I can go for a week sometimes without the signal dropping then in one day it will drop half a dozen times. I also find that the service can get very slow and is faster after a reboot so definitely a network problem.
    editorsean wrote: »
    I can also confirm the intermittent 3G disconnection issues with my Huawei B593s-22, even when I was using iD Mobile broadband that piggybacks on the Three network.

Three 4G on the other hand is a lot more stable. Since Three brought 4G to my area a few months ago, I don't recall losing the connection apart from between my PC and the router due to Windows 10's temperamental Wi-Fi support.

So if you can pick up 4G reception with a Three mobile outside (even a weak 1 bar signal), it would be worth upgrading the router as these desktop routers have a much better antenna than in phones and the portable MiFi devices.

Otherwise, as far as 3G goes, a dedicated router like the B593 may help improve your signal and speed, but I'm fairly sure the intermittent disconnections will remain as my3cents also mentioned.
    robbiep958 wrote: »
    Yeah the exzact same problem here .. Connection dropping here every now and again and im using a router that cost 170 euro dobut its the router .. The 4G connection is a lot more stable than the 3G Connection

hey guys thanks for the reply's after reading yer reply's i did a bit of research and came across a thread on the 3 site about a guy who's 3 mobile internet had intermittent disconnections just like us. he had tired everything and was constantly onto 3 support but they were useless he said.

from reading thought the thread what fixed the issue was getting a new sim card. im sure if the issue reoccurred he would of posted back in the thread but he didnt.
    Maybe that could fix our problem??

sorry i cant post the link because im a new user.
    ED E wrote: »
    E5186 is the dogs proverbials.

BUT.
    Check Reception
    Check Network

Then:
    Add antenna/change provider

All those being complete, then upgrade your unit.

yeah i have 2 bars 4g with a huawei e3372 dongle so ill definitely be getting one of those.

is this definitely one of the best around or are there any other options than the ones i listed?

• Advertisement

2 Bars? Means nothing. Whats your RSSI?

Changing the modem wont help much/at all if your issue is a 30 trees somewhere between you and the mast. An antenna is a 10x better option there.

And none of it matters if the issue is an intermittent feed to the mast.

2 Bars? Means nothing. Whats your RSSI?

Changing the modem wont help much/at all if your issue is a 30 trees somewhere between you and the mast. An antenna is a 10x better option there.

And none of it matters if the issue is an intermittent feed to the mast.

i do not know how to find out the RSSI on my mac with a dongle and cant figure out out from googling. i got an app called mAcme but it does not appear to recognize my dongle. i get just under 20Mb download and i get around 9Mb up. plus i know there are a 5 or 6 masts about 0.5km from my house. i cant remember which providers they belong to but i definitely know some are owed by vodafone and 3.

im with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

grimeire wrote: »
    i do not know how to find out the RSSI on my mac with a dongle and cant figure out out from googling. i got an app called mAcme but it does not appear to recognize my dongle. i get just under 20Mb download and i get around 9Mb up. plus i know there are a 5 or 6 masts about 0.5km from my house. i cant remember which providers they belong to but i definitely know some are owed by vodafone and 3.

im with 3.

Handy site here to check mast sites and id

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

3 Irelands 3G has always been **** and it will remain that way im afraid .. Same thing here 3G connection was never stable it would freeze and work again after 1 minute which was no good for streaming etc.. You would want to pick up the 4G connection for a good connection i get solid 4G when i can get it .. I recommend getting the dwr-921 router quite exspensive but great quality cant go wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Sorry for jumping in on the thread. I get a good h+and 4g signal on my phone on the 3 network in Donegal, up to 20mb down when on 4g. I think my next step is to get a proper unlocked 4g router, so I'm also interested in advice on which router to go for. I figure with the weakness in sterling it may be a great time to take the plunge. I don't know anyone with one to test, so would like to make a good informed choice. Good wifi range would be a must. Also can these routers be tied down to stay on the 4g network when there is an overlap with a 3g mast.

• Advertisement

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on the thread. I get a good h+and 4g signal on my phone on the 3 network in Donegal, up to 20mb down when on 4g. I think my next step is to get a proper unlocked 4g router, so I'm also interested in advice on which router to go for. I figure with the weakness in sterling it may be a great time to take the plunge. I don't know anyone with one to test, so would like to make a good informed choice. Good wifi range would be a must. Also can these routers be tied down to stay on the 4g network when there is an overlap with a 3g mast.

Cant go too far wrong with any of the Huawei's. I've the B593 and find it great, wifi coverage very good. Not sure if they are still available, the B513 is the newer version. Picks up 4g if you have that tarrif, falls back to 3g too.

Cheers. I think the B593 also picks up 4g?

Do you use the B593 on the 3 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use one on the 3 network & it's superb.

The B593 does pick up the 4G network.

I'm with Vodafone.

Excellent. Sounds like a unlocked Huawei is probably the way to go since they seem to be what the networks use and reviews seem goid. Any advantages with the b315 over the b593?

This one seems to be a good price for an unlocked b315 model and shipped from Ireland. I'd imagine this should do the trick, or do you recommend the b693 instead?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/172243408001

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Excellent. Sounds like a unlocked Huawei is probably the way to go since they seem to be what the networks use and reviews seem goid. Any advantages with the b315 over the b593?

Yes. There are reports that the 315 isn't as good especially at pulling in bad signals. I decided to go with the "old" 593 & I can't fault it. Also does voice calls so you can use up your phone credit.

From what I've read, the B315 has a better GUI than the B593 as well as more functionality from its mobile app, e.g. send SMS, manual network search, etc. With my B593, the App just shows the signal strength and data usage. If I try going into any feature such as SMS, etc. it fails.

The B593 on the other hand has reportedly better internal antennas than the B315, which may be useful in a weak signal area without an external antenna. This is also the main reason I went for the B593 even though I've since got an outdoor antenna.

Although the B315 reportedly has better Wi-Fi, I'm very happy with the Wi-Fi performance of the B593. For example, with a laptop connected to the B593 by Ethernet cable in the loft at one end of the house and my PC connected to it downstairs at the other end of the house via Wi-Fi, I get about 80Mbps of throughput (about 10MB/s) with file transfers between the two computers. I don't have a B315 to compare, but would expect the same if not better based on what I've heard about its Wi-Fi performance.

Thanks guys. sounds like pros and cons with both. Decisions decisions

hey guys

im going to take the plunge and buy the Huawei E5186 but im curious do u guys think its worth getting the external antennas with it. a lot of the listings on ebay are including the antennas and im not sure if they are worth the extra few bob since they are only little small antenna and cant see them improving the signal much.

if any one would recommend some where else to purchase the E5186 id be grateful if u let me know.

thanks

• Advertisement

Another question from looking around there seems to be 2 different versions of the E5186s the 22a and 61a. from looking about the only difference is the bands they support. the 22a seems to support more bands but the 61a is more expensive. what is the reason for this and which one do u think i should choose.

BJxWbKf.png

22 is the one you want, I assume the 61 is for Asia/Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheMadMan697

grimeire wrote: »
    hey guys

im going to take the plunge and buy the Huawei E5186 but im curious do u guys think its worth getting the external antennas with it. a lot of the listings on ebay are including the antennas and im not sure if they are worth the extra few bob since they are only little small antenna and cant see them improving the signal much.

if any one would recommend some where else to purchase the E5186 id be grateful if u let me know.

thanks

E5186s Supports cat6 LTE (4g+) so you will get faster speed than the others if your area is upgraded.

I think for an external antenna you need to go for an outdoor one. There looks to be a lot of crap ones on ebay. Make sure you get mimo antenna so that you utilise both antenna ports on the back of the modem.

You can get antennas from solwise.

4G-XPOL-A0002
    This is a good one. Its is directional so needs to point at the mast/signal source.

4G-XPOL-A0001
    This onmi directional one is probably better if you are in a town or don't know where to point the dish. it wont be a strong as the directional one though.

For anyone considering getting the Huawei B315, Amazon UK currently has it in its Today's Deals listing for £100 (filter by 'Computers & Accessories' to see it), which along with the weak sterling is the cheapest I've seen the B315 model to date.

Edit: That was quick - It sold out and they pulled it from the deals listing. It appears to still available for £100 if back ordered on the buying choices listing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B013P15G4K/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thats nice. Kinda think buying at this point its worth investing in CAT6 as within 18 months it could have a significant impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Thats nice. Kinda think buying at this point its worth investing in CAT6 as within 18 months it could have a significant impact.
    Just to be clear
    B315 is CAT4 max150Mbps
    http://www.store4g.com/huawei-b315/
    E5186 is CAT6 max300Mbps
    http://www.store4g.com/huawei-e5186/

hey guys i got the router today.

im getting good speeds with the build in antenna's it about 20Mb down and up which is a big difference than the 2-3Mb i was getting with the 3g wifi modem i had before. the best thing about it is my local network speed is more than 12 times faster. great when streaming things from my nas and transferring files across my network.

a few things i dont like about the router are.
    cant set static ips from the router.
    cant seem to find the QOS setting this router is suppose to have.
    it only shows the details of the devices connected via WiFi not Ethernet.

im not sure are some of these settings hidden due to the firmware thats on it.
    ill do a bit of research and let ye know as i have to look into accessing my network remotely.

I have the E5186 and I think its brilliant. The ac WiFi allows me to transfer files around my network as fast as USB 2. Saves me some amount of time. Plus its probably the most future proof of the options u have. Never seen that tp-link router u have mentioned before but I'd say away from tp-link if I was u. I had a few tp-link 3g router and thought they were always problematic. I have never had any issues with the e5186 in the few months I had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Advertisement