Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can the machining I have specified be achieved accurately

Options
  • 19-06-2016 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am doing a design to roughen two surfaces so that they grip each other when the bolt holding them together is tightened.

Please see sketch of what I am talking about attached.

I guess Im wondering is the design I have done up machinable.

I'm new to mech design as you may guess.

All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Machine pocket in lower part the same shape as upper part
    Increase height of upper part same amount
    Bolt together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Machine pocket in lower part the same shape as upper part
    Increase height of upper part same amount
    Bolt together

cant do that, I need to be able to have the ability to adjust the final position from left to right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Cutting teeth or gears is not straight forward. You can purchases shafts which already have splines on them and also a mating part which can be bolted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Cutting teeth or gears is not straight forward. You can purchases shafts which already have splines on them and also a mating part which can be bolted down.

where would I get such a piece of plate ? I only want a pitch of .5mm deep

what is the proper name for such a piece of plate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Would you not be better looking at a taper lock? Then you can get any position you like? Many car engine cam pulleys are a taper fit with the centre bolt locking it down.

http://www.linngear.com/part-type/taper-lock-bushings/

Your design is more like a slip clutch, you should be able to buy parts for these. Google slip clutch...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/rotary-thrust-actuator-how-make-282782/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It can be done fairly easily on a mill. You could use a 90 degree cutter to make the grooves. If you only have end mills you can jig up your pieces so they're at a 45 degree angle to the end mill.

Then go down 0.5, across 0.5, down 0.5 ect, until you've cut as many "steps" as you need.
    Then lay it flat and cut the rest of the surface down so the teeth are raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

aidanki wrote: »
    cant do that, I need to be able to have the ability to adjust the final position from left to right.

If the position needs to be settable in discrete steps, put only one male feature on one component and multiple female features on the other (or vice versa). Having multiple alignments like your teeth show is bad practice.

If the position just needs to be adjustable, put a slot rather than a hole in the upper part for the screw.

Advertisement