Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galtymore with kids

Options
  • 19-06-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, Myself and the two kids (15 + 11) did Croagh Patrick last year and the kids have the bug to do another climb. I was thinking Galtymore if the weather gets good again. Have any of you any advice regarding which way to approach it and how much time to allocate for the climb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

We took our 6yo as far as to Lough Curra Mtn, and he had plenty of reserve to go further, but as it was his first time we didn't go for it. I guess yours should be ok if they're in reasonable condition (i.e. no couch potatoes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi folks, Myself and the two kids (15 + 11) did Croagh Patrick last year and the kids have the bug to do another climb. I was thinking Galtymore if the weather gets good again. Have any of you any advice regarding which way to approach it and how much time to allocate for the climb?

Hi. I climbed it with my friend three weeks ago in perfect conditions.

We approached it from the south (Skeheenaranky townland) near Michelstown.

There's a paved signposted road that leads from Skeheenaranky (just east of its school if you're coming from Michelstown). This brings you to a small car park at the edge of a farm. It's a cul de sac.

Parked the car there. Climbed over two gates. There is a very obvious rocky path to follow. It is very simple.

Follow the path religiously. Eventually you reach a cairn of piled stones. It's not the memorial that commemorates deceased pilots....it's the big heap of random piled stones about 2km beyond that memorial.

Galtybeg (little brother) will be directly in front of you.... with Galtymore towering off to the left.

The rocky path continues straight ahead.... but LEAVE the path at the cairn and walk leftwards cross-country towards Galtymore. It's grassy, damp and boggy ground. You are directly heading as the 'crow flies' towards the imposing Galtymore.

Aim for the ridge/spine between Galty Beg and Galtymore. Similar to a U-Bend.

It's a very high ridge. A lake sits 500 metres below after a completely sheer drop. If you don't like heights, keep left and away from the edge. It's perfectly safe. There's plenty of open ground.

After that, it's a trudge uphill that seems neverending. But once you cross the brow of the hill, you will see the summit. It is marked by a white celtic cross. The views across the Golden Vale are majestic. Descend as you climbed.

If you are reasonably fit..... 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. I was surprised how easy it was 😀.

You should have basic equipment..... torch, whistle, compass, good boots, warm clothes, food and a mobile phone. Ordnance Survey Map 74 is vital.

Good weather at the base might give way to poor weather while ascending or descending. The rocky path lends itself to twisted or broken ankles. Watch your step!

I believe the route from the north is more difficult, but the southern route we took is grand. Any person with a basic level of health could climb Galtymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi. I climbed it with my friend three weeks ago in perfect conditions.

We approached it from the south (Skeheenaranky townland) near Michelstown.

There's a paved signposted road that leads from Skeheenaranky (just east of its school if you're coming from Michelstown). This brings you to a small car park at the edge of a farm. It's a cul de sac.

Parked the car there. Climbed over two gates. There is a very obvious rocky path to follow. It is very simple.

Follow the path religiously. Eventually you reach a cairn of piled stones. It's not the memorial that commemorates deceased pilots....it's the big heap of random piled stones about 2km beyond that memorial.

Galtybeg (little brother) will be directly in front of you.... with Galtymore towering off to the left.

The rocky path continues straight ahead.... but LEAVE the path at the cairn and walk leftwards cross-country towards Galtymore. It's grassy, damp and boggy ground. You are directly heading as the 'crow flies' towards the imposing Galtymore.

Aim for the ridge/spine between Galty Beg and Galtymore. Similar to a U-Bend.

It's a very high ridge. A lake sits 500 metres below after a completely sheer drop. If you don't like heights, keep left and away from the edge. It's perfectly safe. There's plenty of open ground.

After that, it's a trudge uphill that seems neverending. But once you cross the brow of the hill, you will see the summit. It is marked by a white celtic cross. The views across the Golden Vale are majestic. Descend as you climbed.

If you are reasonably fit..... 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. I was surprised how easy it was 😀.

You should have basic equipment..... torch, whistle, compass, good boots, warm clothes, food and a mobile phone. Ordnance Survey Map 74 is vital.

Good weather at the base might give way to poor weather while ascending or descending. The rocky path lends itself to twisted or broken ankles. Watch your step!

I believe the route from the north is more difficult, but the southern route we took is grand. Any person with a basic level of health could climb Galtymore.

Lovely hurling. Thanks a mil for that info. That sounds like the way to go. I heard approaching from the south is easier alright. Any recommendations on a decent b&b/hotel in the vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Lovely hurling. Thanks a mil for that info. That sounds like the way to go. I heard approaching from the south is easier alright. Any recommendations on a decent b&b/hotel in the vicinity?

We were coming from Limerick, so it was a day trip by car. No accommodation required. Sorry!

The big towns of Cahir and Michelstown are nearby. A Google search for these towns or the village of Kilbeheny should throw up loads of results, I'd expect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 demelzareveley

Ohh, How are you going to manage kids. Whats their age?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 demelzareveley

Anyway great effort:)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Whats their age?
    literally 8 words into OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

There are a few hotels in the area. The FirGrove in Mitchelstown (good food!) for example. Trip Advisor is your friend! The kids might like Glengara wood and Mitchelstown Caves while in the area. Enjoy!

Thinking abut doing this over the weekend.....With all the rainfall on the way am i mad ?

Thinking abut doing this over the weekend.....With all the rainfall on the way am i mad ?

It's going to be very windy (and wet) up there on Saturday and lots of rain forecast for Sunday. You won't see a thing and might turn them off the whole thing.

These might be of interest:

1. There's a climb of Galtymore for Pieta House on Sat 27th Aug, Reg. Black Road (R 893 202), Skeheenarinky from 9.30am.

Contact Liam +353 87 226 8651

2. For anyone who hasn't climbed the Galtys before or would like to do it as a family group - at an nice easy pace with a Galty Mountain Guide - well this is your opportunity. Saturday 4th Sept at 12 midday we leave from Kings Yard (R875 199).....this event is run under Kilbehenny Potato Festival Free events (Donations welcome at start of climb).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I climbed it from the south Skeenarinky side, it's very dry mountain compared to any in Wicklow, so recent rain shouldn't be too much of an issue with boggy ground underfoot.

, so recent rain shouldn't be too much of an issue with boggy ground underfoot.

It's not so much the recent rain as the forecast rain. Anyway, the wind is worse than any rain.

Fingers,

This will give you a better idea. That 8 m/s on Saturday (if it's right) is madness with kids, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

This will give you a better idea. That 8 m/s on Saturday (if it's right) is madness with kids, IMHO.

That weather forecast is for ground level too so the wind up high would be much stronger.

Around 18m/s according to Mountain Forecast.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Galtymore/forecasts/917

ok folks thanks for all the replies. GerardS,,,4th Sept sounds good :)

Folks ...apologies for dragging up an old thread but only getting around to starting this climb in the next few weeks. The kids now 16 and 12 are off for the summer. I'm between jobs at the moment so we can take off anytime really in the next few weeks. Would i be mad approaching from the North? We are all relatively fit. Still looking for tips on where to stay and any other tips would be appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Folks ...apologies for dragging up an old thread but only getting around to starting this climb in the next few weeks. The kids now 16 and 12 are off for the summer. I'm between jobs at the moment so we can take off anytime really in the next few weeks. Would i be mad approaching from the North? We are all relatively fit. Still looking for tips on where to stay and any other tips would be appreciated. :)

The clouds and fog can move in very quick and leave you lost on a very steep slope with kids...Yes,I would think you'r mad to approach from the north and its also an extra 3/4 hours

Go from the black road or kings yard and the track is clear and you will meet other climbers on this side to ask for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Fermoy MS have an annual Galtee walk for past 30 yrs, Fathers day every year). We usually have a1000 people on the day. A large number of people are not regular walkers but all have a great day and enjoy the experience.

see photos of the galtees https://www.facebook.com/Fermoy-Multiple-Sclerosis-Society-Annual-Galtee-Walk-146262412220600/

Maybe mark fathers day next year in your calander for next year.

A nice family run Hotel is CorbetCourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

It really depends on the weather.
    If the sky is clear then it's a very straightforward walk, but as Gillad says the weather can change quickly and in cloud it's very easy to get lost.

Another consideration is that from the north is much harder than from the south.
    My regular hillwalk is Galtymore from the north going anti-clockwise; Car park, Lough Curra, Curra Gully, Galtymore, Galtybeg, Cush and back to the car park.

That walk for me, knowing the route well, is 3-4 hours without stops so it could easily be 5-6 hours with stops, photos, navigating, kids, etc. so you'd want to be sure the kids are up to it.

From the south going up the black road is much easier and can be done in less than 2 hours so might be a better choice with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Folks ...apologies for dragging up an old thread but only getting around to starting this climb in the next few weeks. The kids now 16 and 12 are off for the summer. I'm between jobs at the moment so we can take off anytime really in the next few weeks. Would i be mad approaching from the North? We are all relatively fit. Still looking for tips on where to stay and any other tips would be appreciated.
    I can highly recommend the Ballyhoura hostel in kilfinane co Limerick. It's about a 15 or 20 minute drive from the galtees.
    Lovely little hostel. Really nice and the owners are super friendly and helpful.

Advertisement