Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No internet access but connected

Options
  • 19-06-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Help please. I have a Windows 7 laptop running wireless and use Chrome. Every so often I cannot access the internet with the message “There is no internet connection… Your computer is offline… DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET” displayed. The wireless icon shows Connected but also No Internet Access. Yet the router wifi seems ok as I can access the internet by wifi on my phone at the same time. If I restart the laptop I usually get back the internet access and all seems fine until the next time. I have an Eircom router. The DSL light is constant while the WiFi and Internet lights are flashing. I have run Malwarebytes free anti-malware and adwcleaner and neither highlight any problem. I use Avast.

One other thing bugs me and may be related is that if I load Chrome it loads from https://www.google.ie/ shown in the URL line (as in Chrome settings). If however I open a new tab in Chrome it loads a different looking Chrome-like page with 8 mini screens and a blank URL line. Not sure if this is right or if there is something going on in the background!!!

Thanks for reading this. Any help would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chrome is behaving normally.

Avasts internal proxy would be my #1 bet. If it freezes you'll see that phantom disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I have a second laptop also with Avast and it is working fine... no problems at all... but the first is driving me mad as it is constantly dropping its internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bmay529 wrote: »
    I have a second laptop also with Avast and it is working fine... no problems at all... but the first is driving me mad as it is constantly dropping its internet connection

Don't assume that all machines will show the same fault simply because they have the same program.

When my internet connection drops I have found I can reestablish the connection by using the Internet Access icon which shows the wireless connection/list and clicking disconnect and then Connect for my router. I wonder why it is dropping in the first palce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When my internet connection drops I have found I can reestablish the connection by using the Internet Access icon which shows the wireless connection/list and clicking disconnect and then Connect for my router. I wonder why it is dropping in the first palce.

then Diagnose the issue. Rule out what works, eg: uninstall Avast. If the problem persists, then it wasn't avast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Sounds like a DNS problem. When you cannot connect, establish where the break in connection is by:
    i) PING the local router.
    ii) PING an address on the internet.
    iii) PING the DNS server that is set for your PC.
    iv) Run NSLOOKUP and see if your DNS server is responding.

If you run IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results here I can help you with this.

Thanks, if the DNS light on my Eir router is constant and I can access the internet from both my mobile and second laptop when I am having the connection problem on the first laptop can it then be a DNS problem? I'm no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks, if the DNS light on my Eir router is constant and I can access the internet from both my mobile and second laptop when I am having the connection problem on the first laptop can it then be a DNS problem? I'm no expert

Never seen a DNS light on a router, are you sure?

Sorry, my fault... don't know what I was thinking... it's a constant DSL light on router

Advertisement