Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoe trip from Dublin to Limerick

• 19-06-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello there,

myself and a friend are planning on canoeing from Dublin to Limerick this August via the Grand canal and the the Shannon. Has anyone got any advice they would like to share? Does anyone know how easy it is to camp along the banks on the way?

Any info at all will be appreciated,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Pack really light, then throw away half the stuff you packed!

Camping on the canal is no problem as long as you are discreet and respectful.

It's a long long paddle so make sure what ever paddle you are using in is light / comfortable and efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dugg139

Pack really light, then throw away half the stuff you packed!

Camping on the canal is no problem as long as you are discreet and respectful.

It's a long long paddle so make sure what ever paddle you are using in is light / comfortable and efficient.

Thanks for the reply,

Packing light is definitely a top priority. As for camping I think we are just going to wing it, paddle what we can each day and then just pick a suitable spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when people do this do you bring a key for the gates or do you pull the canoe out each time?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    when people do this do you bring a key for the gates or do you pull the canoe out each time?

Having done a reasonable amount of canoe tripping including the longest one from Hazlehatch to St Mullins, not having a lock key will get really old really quick.

Having done a reasonable amount of canoe tripping including the longest one from Hazlehatch to St Mullins, not having a lock key will get really old really quick.

I did the Barrow last year from Athy down to Graignamanagh and I got the hang of the weirs pretty quickly :pac: , I only lifted the canoe out once and that was enough.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    I did the Barrow last year from Athy down to Graignamanagh and I got the hang of the weirs pretty quickly :pac: , I only lifted the canoe out once and that was enough.

Why did you have to lift the canoe out that one time?

dugg139 wrote: »
    Why did you have to lift the canoe out that one time?

we didnt have a key and the the lock gate was at the far end of the canal stretch, there was no one around so it was the only option. I havnt canoed on an actual canal so not sure what people tend to do, it was me and my son so I had to do most of the lifting, with 2 adults might not be that bad but I would say get your hands on a key, not sure how you get them though

I spoke to a guy with Inland Waterways association Ireland and he reckons that the regional office in Tullamore can provide/sell them. He was very friendly but not very informative. I will try and get in touch with the regional office and see what more information I can gather.

Well, I did the paddle, Dublin to Limerick. Took us 7 days of paddling, 8 days in total with one day to windy to paddle on Lough Derg. If anyone has any questions or wants info on the canal or the lake let me know and I will help if I can.

dugg139 wrote: »
    Well, I did the paddle, Dublin to Limerick. Took us 7 days of paddling, 8 days in total with one day to windy to paddle on Lough Derg. If anyone has any questions or wants info on the canal or the lake let me know and I will help if I can.

Well done, would love to read a bit of a trip report.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Me too actually, have just gotten back into canoeing recently, and am mad for exploring new routes/trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

beertons wrote: »
    Me too actually, have just gotten back into canoeing recently, and am mad for exploring new routes/trips.

Same as that. Bought a Canadian canoe yesterday and dying to get back into the whole canoeing/camping/fishing 'lifestyle'. Haven't done any of it for two years as I sold my other canoe when we were moving house. There's plenty of rivers, lakes and coastal exploring to do here in Donegal. But when I can't be doing it I just want to read about others adventures especially here in Ireland.

Advertisement