Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of Teroco/Velfac or FGM/Ideal Combi Windows & Installation Standards?

Options
  • 19-06-2016 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all. One gentleman has already been very helpful, but we're wondering if there are more out there who have been through a replacement window specify/supply/install cycle with one or other of the above and can PM some views on how the various players and the windows have performed? Positives/negatives/stuff to watch out for?

We've concluded that narrow frame composite windows like the Velfac V200 or the Ideal Combi Futura + while expensive are probably best for our needs. Long life very low maintenance powder coated aluminium outside with timber inside, good light and a look to suit our fairly contemporary 80s house.

The former (not sure yet about the latter) operate very aggressive payment terms - 60% with order, and the balance before delivery of the windows - never mind installation. Which means there's a lot in terms of financial and technical risks left left to rely on the warranty, trustworthiness, capability, reliability and stability of the manufacturer and the local supply and install company.

Right installation is clearly critical, especially with timber windows - both for life and function of the windows, and to leave the house in decent shape.

All thoughts but especially feedback based on experience appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Off your questions a bit
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of some of the others here, I have my doubts about what I presume are alu clad timber windows in the context of the damp/humid Irish climate.
    I was part of a group in Washington State some years ago, which is wet and damp like here, where the timber behind the Alu clad had rotted at year 11, the warranty was 10 years.

I would also go back to basics and describe why the need for brand new windows, and what the economic validity is behind such expensive kit.

If it is about looks/feel/aesthetics and the like then fine, can't argue with that.

There are timber windows in my estate that that are there 25+ years with no maintenance, I can understand that Rationel.

I would also like to see the detailed spec on the glass.

Have you considered just glazing replacement?

ps the irish site for the second lot is off line..:)

The attached file, while not directly relevant to your questions make throw some light on the matter, if the eyes don't glaze over.

Keep well

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ondablade

Thanks for the thoughts and the file C. Our focus is indeed mostly the practicalities of doing business with these companies, but tech input is welcome too.

The V200 and Ideal Combi Futura+ are not aluclad windows, they are composite with a powder coated aluminium section with thermal break hinged sash/outer section over a timber inner fixed frame. i.e. there's TBC supposedly no wood exposed to the external environment.

I'm without any justification beyond my own instincts a bit cautious too about aluclad - it clearly extends the maintenance interval, but what happens then? Against that some are quoting a very long maintenance interval. Getting the cladding off to repaint though is probably not much fun. There's also the risk of a narrow strip of wood being exposed to UV in some cases.

The FGM site was fine last night, looks like it's only temporarily down.

We're replacing because our early 80s aluminiums produce a lot of condensation, and because they have got very tired with worn hinges etc. Also as you say for aesthetics - we made a less than ideal visual/layout call back then.

Our primary concern is long term functionality/life with minimal maintenance - minor differences in insulation capability are probably not show stoppers.

Based on some touring around early 2000s developments there's plenty of scandinavian style timber windows intsalled by developers in exposed locations that have not been re-painted in trouble too. It really brings home the importance of using vacuum impregnated timber and good finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shares09

@ondablade: just wondering did you go with the ideal combi windows, I am considering going with these... any advice appreciated! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

ondablade wrote: »
    The V200 and Ideal Combi Futura+ are not aluclad windows, they are composite with a powder coated aluminium section with thermal break hinged sash/outer section over a timber inner fixed frame. i.e. there's TBC supposedly no wood exposed to the external environment.

Does anyone have any information\links that describe both these products in more detail?

I thought Aluclad had no exposed wood either? So it sounds the same as Ideal Combi Futura+ - both are wood frame covered by metal to protect from elements.

I read somewhere else that even with Aluclad it does not provide life long maintenance free doors\windows and that the Aluclad will need to be taken off after a number of years, the wood treated, and Aluclad put back on again. Is this true?

Interesting article here from an architect that discusses standardised sight lines you get from both these window companies https://www.dlarchitects.ie/idealcombi-windows/

Do anyone know any other companies that supply doors that have standardised sight lines?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link, I am also very interested in learning more about these windows/doors.:)

No problem. As you know we can't comment on individual companies, but if you Google the names you'll see some interesting comments on twitter.

One thing worth checking is what warranty is given for the product and what warranty is given for the installation. And who is providing the warranty for both.

For example. If an Irish agent for some Danish door manufacturer goes bust and there's a problem with how your door was installed, and you're still under warranty, who foots the bill? In some cases the manufacturer will look after such issues and in some cases you're left high and dry.

When there's more than one agent supplying the same product in Ireland I've seen massive difference in quotes. So it's worth ringing around.

Interesting. I got feedback from another boards member. They bought windows from an Irish agent of a Danish company. Irish agent then went bust. There were problems with the installation and the Danish company would not help and the customer had to foot the bill themselves.

So I guess you should examine the text of the warranty for installation before paying. And if the Danish supplier say they will back up the installation warranty if the Irish agent goes bust then get it in writing.

The other brand that interests me is Danhus.... If anyone has any experience of either ideal combo or Danhus I would appreciate a pm. Ta

Does anyone have any information\links that describe both these products in more detail?

I thought Aluclad had no exposed wood either? So it sounds the same as Ideal Combi Futura+ - both are wood frame covered by metal to protect from elements.

Well I got a quote for VELFAC windows and they describe them as Aluwood - which I think is no different than Aluclad.

@ondablade where did you get the information that VELFAC are not Aluclad?

• Advertisement

Well I got a quote for VELFAC windows and they describe them as Aluwood - which I think is no different than Aluclad.

@ondablade where did you get the information that VELFAC are not Aluclad?

My understanding is that ideal combi are Ali coated as opposed to Ali clad.

Shares09 wrote: »
    My understanding is that ideal combi are Ali coated as opposed to Ali clad.

Oh right. Possibly Ideal Combi is not Aluclad, but VELFAC is Aluclad (assuming Aluclad and Aluwood mean the same thing).

What is the difference between Ali coated and Ali clad?

Oh right. Possibly Ideal Combi is not Aluclad, but VELFAC is Aluclad (assuming Aluclad and Aluwood mean the same thing).

What is the difference between Ali coated and Ali clad?

I am assuming it's a metal powder coating on the timber compared to actual sheets of metal attached to the timber
    NOTE: This is my own unqualified opinion!!

I am assuming it's a metal powder coating on the timber compared to actual sheets of metal attached to the timber
    NOTE: This is my own unqualified opinion!!

Oh right. That's interesting. I read somewhere else that Aluclad is not a lifelong maintenance free product (at some point the Alu cladding needs to be removed and wood treated again?). Wonder how that works if the Alu is just sprayed on?

Oh right. That's interesting. I read somewhere else that Aluclad is not a lifelong maintenance free product (at some point the Alu cladding needs to be removed and wood treated again?). Wonder how that works if the Alu is just sprayed on?

Have never heard of taking of the cladding to treat the timber.

Anyone who has bought Ideal Combi Futura, how long a warranty did they provide for the installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

The other brand that interests me is Danhus.... If anyone has any experience of either ideal combo or Danhus I would appreciate a pm. Ta

Wouldn’t touch Danhus with a barge pole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anyone who has bought Ideal Combi Futura, how long a warranty did they provide for the installation?

Can't remember it but regret dealing with them.

Advertisement