Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student grant and FETAC

Options
  • 19-06-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, all. I have completed a course level 7, part-time, I got a certificate, I earned some credits about 45, I have been offered a place on undergraduate course level 7 , diploma course, will I get a student grant and free tuition fee? It says level must be higher but I have just certificate and to get diploma I have to study further or it doesn't matter it is a certificate course or not and if a level is the same I will not get any financial support?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Volha wrote: »
    Hi, all. I have completed a course level 7, part-time, I got a certificate, I earned some credits about 45, I have been offered a place on undergraduate course level 7 , diploma course, will I get a student grant and free tuition fee? It says level must be higher but I have just certificate and to get diploma I have to study further or it doesn't matter it is a certificate course or not and if a level is the same I will not get any financial support?
    Thanks

If the level 7 you already have is a major award, then you would not qualify for funding, but if it is a minor award on the NFQ then you may qualify for funding.

Check with the QQI or your previous course provider

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Volha

actually I called them and they said if it is a level 7 I will not get funding for the first year, but it is level 8 that's ok. It doesn't matter that it is not a major award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

actually I called them and they said if it is a level 7 I will not get funding for the first year, but it is level 8 that's ok. It doesn't matter that it is not a major award.

Great that you are doing a Level 8, but who ever you spoke with in SUSI is wrong, the previous study attained on a course must lead to a major award on the NFQ to be not considered for grant assistance. All courses that qualify for grant assistance must lead to a major award as minor awards are not funded.

Student Support regulations 2015

Interpretation

2. (1) In these Regulations—

“Act” means the Student Support Act 2011 (No. 4 of 2011);

“framework of qualifications” means the framework of qualifications established

and maintained pursuant to section 7 of the Qualifications (Education and

Training) Act 1999 (No. 26 of 1999);

“postgraduate course” is a course leading to a major higher education and training

award at Level 8 (Higher Diploma), Level 9 (Postgraduate Diploma, Master

Degree), Level 10 (Doctoral Degree) on the national framework of qualifications,

or equivalent awards;

“prior scheme” means the Higher Education Grants (HEG) Scheme made pursuant

to the Local Authorities (Higher Education Grants) Acts 1968 to 1992 or

the schemes administered by a Vocational Education Committee, namely the

Vocational Education Committees (VEC) Scholarship Scheme, the Third Level

Maintenance Grants Scheme for Trainees (TLT) and the Maintenance Grants

Scheme for Students attending Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC) courses;

“undergraduate course” means a course leading to a major higher education

and training award at Level 6 (Higher Certificate), Level 7 (Ordinary Bachelor

Degree), Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree) on the national framework of

qualifications, or equivalent awards, other than a course known for the time

being as a post-leaving certificate course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Volha

After I have read how many applications are rejected and the reasons for rejecting them I have a little hope in getting a student grant. It is my first application for a student grant and Im in a shock because I never new it could be so long to receive a decision, I have accepted a course already but in reality I can not afford to go to college without financial support. If my application is rejected I have no idea what to do with that course I have accepted, what to say to admission?

After I have read how many applications are rejected and the reasons for rejecting them I have a little hope in getting a student grant. It is my first application for a student grant and Im in a shock because I never new it could be so long to receive a decision, I have accepted a course already but in reality I can not afford to go to college without financial support. If my application is rejected I have no idea what to do with that course I have accepted, what to say to admission?

Go ahead and apply for the grant anyway. Make sure you submit ALL the information required in order to speed the application up. I think if it is your first application, you might be ok. I think you cannot get a grant twice for the same level. Also, make the application for Level 8, which you can continue on and do after Level 7.

• Advertisement
Advertisement