Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - Bremen Airport Security - Germany

Options
  • 18-06-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

On 14 June 2016, flying back from Bremen Airport to Dublin (Ryanair).

I had 2 x 10ml bottles in a plastic bag as required but they were taken from me as they had a "poison" sticker on them. This is the first time this has happened in airport security in Europe (I fly a lot).
    Just Beware that not all airport security are educated in what vaping is (like Dublin), or they are just on a power trip because they have to work in a cattleshed (Terminal E, what a dump).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

It seems a couple of unlabelled bottles to put your juice into might be no harm then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

j26m wrote: »
    It seems a couple of unlabelled bottles to put your juice into might be no harm then.

Putting poison into an unlabelled bottle is extremely irresponsible and potentially illegal. Absolutely do not. Your "juice" is fatal if injested.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Putting poison into an unlabelled bottle is extremely irresponsible and potentially illegal. Absolutely do not. Your "juice" is fatal if injested.

I DIY mix - none of my bottles are labelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

j26m wrote: »
    I DIY mix - none of my bottles are labelled.

Same as that ^^^

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The same happened to me in Munich a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Really ? , where did you read that ?

How much did the person drink ? , what did it taste like ? what strength was it ?

jonski wrote: »
    Really ? , where did you read that ?

How much did the person drink ? , what did it taste like ? what strength was it ?
    Nicotine is deadly. I am scared that you don't know this.

http://gawker.com/cops-report-first-vape-related-kid-death-after-toddler-1670715851

Oh without a shadow of a doubt Nicotine is a poison, but then so are a lot of things if not used properly or if taken in too large a dose . Taking a small bit of care and being a bit responsible though can help ...like not leaving things which can poison a small kid around so they can get it ...like e-liquid , or bleach or medicines . You need to rein in the drama a bit .

Oh without a shadow of a doubt Nicotine is a poison, but then so are a lot of things if not used properly or if taken in too large a dose . Taking a small bit of care and being a bit responsible though can help ...like not leaving things which can poison a small kid around so they can get it ...like e-liquid , or bleach or medicines . You need to rein in the drama a bit .
    Pouring liquid from a container marked poison to a container without a warning to evade customs is irresponsible.

Pouring liquid from a container marked poison to a container without a warning to evade customs is irresponsible.

No it isn't , not for an adult who knows what they are doing and how to be responsible with it . What about bringing shampoo through in these clear plastic 100 ml bottles , are you against that too ?

• Advertisement

No it isn't , not for an adult who knows what they are doing and how to be responsible with it . What about bringing shampoo through in these clear plastic 100 ml bottles , are you against that too ?

There are strict rules around transportation of poisons you know.

So you are against the clear plastic bottles for shampoo and wash up liquid that people use going away on holidays as well ? Well that's fair enough then , that's your opinion and you are entitled to it .

Me , I'll continue to DIY and carry them in my own bottles , I've managed to raise three children to adulthood without poisoning any of them .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Oh no! somebody better call the transport police :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I better stop finger testing my juices since it's so 'poisonous' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

kilcash wrote: »
    On 14 June 2016, flying back from Bremen Airport to Dublin (Ryanair).

I had 2 x 10ml bottles in a plastic bag as required but they were taken from me as they had a "poison" sticker on them. This is the first time this has happened in airport security in Europe (I fly a lot).
    Just Beware that not all airport security are educated in what vaping is (like Dublin), or they are just on a power trip because they have to work in a cattleshed (Terminal E, what a dump).

Thanks for the heads up. Bremen isn't the only airport doing this, some in the UK do too, Exeter and Newquay afaik. As has been pointed out further up the thread it an over strict interpretation of the poison regulations. Flybe are insisting on it you weren't flying with Flybe were you?

It's more toxic than both cyanide and arsenic.

You're thinking of highly concentrated pure nicotine. At least do some better research if you're going to make such bold statements. Caffeine is lethal in high concentrations too, do you think coffee is poison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I pity you having had the Ryanair Bremen experience. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. No doubt your juices were confiscated after a good hour in the security queue too.

Have heard of this sort of thing happening in Dubai too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

What is? E juice? There's a maxim in toxicology " the dose makes the poison" If we are talking about 2.5% e juice then no it's not more toxic than cyanide or arsenic. I have no idea how you got this notion. try googling before posting such dogmatic statements.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/?tool=pmcentrez
    http://ecita.org.uk/sites/default/files/u41/bibra%20EU_Classification_of_nicotine_mixtures_acute_oral_and_dermal_toxicity.pdf
    Short summary of the same http://www.ecita.org.uk/ecita-news/e-cigarette-liquid-not-highly-toxic-it%E2%80%99s-less-dangerous-washing-liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'll stop decanting my perfume for travel so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'll stop decanting my perfume for travel so.

You should, or you'll get a telling off from the hall monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

glad to see a bit of common sense on this thread it was getting a bit out of hand, cyanide or arsenic lol, sher if that was the case we would all be dead by now

Or are we dead and we just don't know it, cyanide can do that you know??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Cyanide is lovely with some Strawberry Ripe. Great throat hit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

One of the arguments often given against vaping being over-regulated is that it is covered under existing regulation e.g. any poisonous content (nicotine) having to be clearly labelled as such and has to have a child-proof cap. Now while I don't consider someone carrying unlabelled e-liquid a danger to humanity I would prefer to embrace the existing legislation where possible rather than give any credence to those who want to regulate it out of existence.

Also, mod hat moment, some folks seem a tad upset with stefanovich for his opinion on this. While I don't necessarily agree with his over-zealous approach to e-juice management he/she is entitled to their opinion. Ye all seem well able to argue the point anyway.

Do what you like guys. I'm really not that bothered in reality. It just seemed irresponsible to transfer from a container marked poison to one that is unmarked especially to circumvent security.

Yet airports sell clear, unmarked bottles exactly for this purpose. People transfer shampoo and other cosmetics, many of them toxic if ingested, all the time in airports. I don't see why e-liquids should be treated any harsher. E-liquid as about as much like Cyanide as a jar of coffee. Like I explained earlier, you are talking raw, high concentration nicotine. Which none of us would ever handle in the first place.

Yet airports sell clear, unmarked bottles exactly for this purpose. People transfer shampoo and other cosmetics, many of them toxic if ingested, all the time in airports. I don't see why e-liquids should be treated any harsher. E-liquid as about as much like Cyanide as a jar of coffee. Like I explained earlier, you are talking raw, high concentration nicotine. Which none of us would ever handle in the first place.

So why are they labelled as poisons?

So why are they labelled as poisons?

Mis-labelled you mean? Just like the FDA plan to label vaping products as "tobacco"? - read this since you're so interested, at least know the facts:

http://ecita.org.uk/ecita-blog/how-toxic-e-liquid

There is a gigantic difference between raw/pure nicotine, which is illegal to sell to the public for starters, and the very low percentage VG base containing nic that DIY mixers have access to. And even that is a much higher concentration that what ends up in the end juice. I vape 3mg liquid, honestly, a mouthful of fairy liquid would be more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

I've got a room full of poisons ................................ although I just refer to it as the kitchen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement