Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to break even on a sale using percentages & MS Excel

Options
  • 18-06-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](A) An asset worth $536,627 [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](B) The cost of selling is 7.5%[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](C) My approach to estimate selling with out loss. This the best I could come up with, but I don't think its perfect. A + (A * 1 + B)*B = $579,893[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](D) However.... 7.5% of C is = $43,492[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](E) A + D = $580,119[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Why is there a $226 variance between C and E? Is there a better way to get this to zero?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Is the 7.5% cost of selling supposed to be applied to the ssset's worth (A) or the eventual sale price?

If it is applied to the asset's worth then the sale price should be simply 536,627 ⨉ 1.075 = 576,874

If it is to be applied to the sale price then the sale price needs to be 536,627 ÷ (1 - 0.075) = 580,137.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sordini

@Bit cynical

Thank you so much. You have made my day! Thanks

Advertisement