Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify this plant

Options
  • 18-06-2016 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this is? A couple of them appeared this year and I don't remember seeing them before. They are growing on a ditch next to red valerian, which many would consider a weed, but I quite like it.

Sorry, photo only shows the flowerhead (a raceme). The plant is about two feet tall, the stem is angled (maybe four-sided) and lower stem is slightly tinged with red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

A couple of the flowers opened since I took photo this morning. Corolla is tube-shaped, more pinkish on the outside. The petal tips are tipped with red on the inside and yellow below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could it be a Cape Fuchsia?

looksee wrote: »
    Could it be a Cape Fuchsia?
    Looks like it. I was going to start pulling it out, but laziness stopped me. Next door neighbour was an avid gardener, but died six years ago and the garden went wild. A few weeks ago the builders moved in and started tearing the place apart. I suppose I could call this a garden escape. I will try to pot up some and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I agree with Looksee, Phygelius aka cape fushsia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

we call it devil's tears

• Advertisement

we call it devil's tears
    Very apt name. Would it be easy to transplant or not a good idea now while it's flowering? It's now growing in a shady area, is that preferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

it's easy to propagate Look for shoots at the base, they will have rootlets, when big enough cut and transplant

Advertisement