Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You finished the leaving cert, now what?

Options
  • 18-06-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

To all who just finished or about to. This is a bit of an open letter.

I've just finished my fourth and final year in college. Leaving cert now, lol after 2 months no even cares about it anymore in your first year in college or when you start to work. On par for a 1st (like an A) so I picked my right course. I only picked my course because I thought it sounded nice, never honestly thought I'd get into it. So I'm now waiting to hear back about a masters in finance. You'd be surprised how well life can go at times.

So my advice to all the leaving cert students of 2016? Don't worry about life, you'll be fine :).

If you get the points for your course congrats! Stick with it for the first year and see how it goes. You'd be surprised of the about of people who don't like the course and drop out or transfer in the first year (mine was 30%). Transferring in your college is much easier (usually points aren't taken in account so you'll grand) and you can go to another course.

To those who don't think they'll get the course they want and get a lower point one. Stick with it for the first year, I have a few friends who didn't get their first choice and got into my course and they love it so much and are happy they didn't get it. I have other friends who then did the first year of my course then transferred at the end with no regrets.

To those who do the leaving cert goes tits up on the day. Life isn't over, some of the greatest people in my course barely passed the leaving and were the highest results on my course. They did a PLC for 1/2 years and went straight in college. They said it was like a half way house and suited them well.

If school isn't for you and you never want to study again don't! Some people aren't just for college! Plenty of programmes are out their for apprenticeships or internships. People who start working straight away sometimes are better off than going to college, it suits them better and you'll be happier. You can always go back later.

You think or know you failed the leaving cert? Don't worry, it'll be grand! I have a good friend who failed maths and had to repeat. He just had to study again for a year. Not the easiest option but it was much easier a second time studying and you'll do better. He's now going into final year of college and he has a great job lined up after.

Why did I write this? Some will think it's ****e, others (like myself after the leaving) will be ****ting themselves for summer. You'll be fine. Don't worry anymore and go have fun and start to enjoy life :).

Advertisement