Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeschooling

Options
  • 17-06-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there!

I was wondering if any of you could give me some information on homeschooling for second level education. So, when I started secondary school I only did my first year before moving to a different town. I had always found it difficult to fit in and I'm prone to panic attacks when I feel uncomfortable (something which was a regular occurrence in first year) when I started second year however, I was amazed at how easily I fitted in and soon I had a large group of friends and I've never felt more comfortable anywhere else.

At the end of fourth year, my mom decided to move back to my home town and move in with my grandmother for personal reasons. I didn't want to leave my school, especially since they had started a three year leaving cert cycle (I started learning leaving cert material in fourth year) and I thought it would be useful. I finished fourth year and got half way through fifth by traveling up and down and spending the occasional night in my boyfriends.

It became too much though, I was always tired and I couldn't get my homework done because I'd have to go to bed early to get up to travel the next morning. My teachers knew of the situation and were very supportive but it just wasn't working. So I had to leave, I knew of the school I would be going in to and I wasn't gone on the idea at all.

My brother goes there and he loves it, but the year I would've went in to was very very rough and constantly in trouble and I didn't want to be part of that so I dropped out.

Now, my friends and boyfriend are all doing their leaving cert and I wish was in school doing it with them but I know I can't go back to my old school and I don't want to start fresh in a new one, especially since I'll be 19 in October and a lot older then my felloe students.

I want to be an author (a big dream, I know) but I'd love to have my leaving cert behind me. Is there any chance I could be homeschooled? Please no hate or stupid answers, I just want some info.

Thank you,
    Chloe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Check out henireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

If you don't plan on doing any subjects with a project element (like history, geography, Ag science, etc. because for those you need a teacher to sign off on the project), you could register as an external candidate. Basically you'll just go into your school for your exams but you won't actually attend school, instead you'd just do it's home alone! You could get grinds if you want but you'd need a lot of willpower to do it. It sounds like you're very myocardial to do it for yourself though so it might be a good option if you can't sort out homeschooling and you don't want to go back into a school! Best of luck with it either way! 😊

Advertisement