Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best removable L plates for car

Options
  • 17-06-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

My partner is now insured on my vehicle but wont be driving all the time. I want to get L Plates for her but ones than can be removed on and off when she needs them. I will be doing most of the driving but i dont want to be driving around with L plates myself as it will attract the guards attention that im driving on my own if they think im the learner.
    Any idea what and where to get good removable L plates for car

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

My partner is now insured on my vehicle but wont be driving all the time. I want to get L Plates for her but ones than can be removed on and off when she needs them. I will be doing most of the driving but i dont want to be driving around with L plates myself as it will attract the guards attention that im driving on my own if they think im the learner.
    Any idea what and where to get good removable L plates for car

Window clings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My driving instructor gave me my window-cling L plates (they had his business name and phone in small print at the bottom, fine with me). I also saw window-clings in my local Mace; they had both L and N, and I got my N plates there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

The cling plates, can you re use them as I'll b taking them down quite often

Yes you can! They do lose their "cling" after a while though. So might be worth getting a few.

• Advertisement

You can get them in Dealz for 1.50.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

The cling plates, can you re use them as I'll b taking them down quite often

Yes. You can also get magnetic ones but only buy the ones which are fully magnetic. The ones with 2 small magnetic strips are useless. They usually fly off by the time you hit 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes. You can also get magnetic ones but only buy the ones which are fully magnetic. The ones with 2 small magnetic strips are useless. They usually fly off by the time you hit 3rd.

this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I took my L plates on and off multiple times while driving over the border to the North. All I needed to do was to keep a bottle of water and a clean rag in the boot. Wet the side that goes against the glass; this works to restore the cling (use the rag to smooth out bubbles and extra moisture around the edges).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

And may I thank the OP for thinking about removing the L plates when not in use. Far too many people just don't bother.

• Advertisement

i got fully magnetic in halfords for €6, not a bargain but they do exactly what i need. I have a rag and bottle of water in boot to clean surface and sticks grand to it. I dont like the look of L plates on my car but its the law and must be done
    thank for help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Speedwell wrote: »
    I took my L plates on and off multiple times while driving over the border to the North. All I needed to do was to keep a bottle of water and a clean rag in the boot. Wet the side that goes against the glass; this works to restore the cling (use the rag to smooth out bubbles and extra moisture around the edges).

When you say 'my L plates', do you were you driving on a learner's permit yourself?

my3cents wrote: »
    And may I thank the OP for thinking about removing the L plates when not in use. Far too many people just don't bother.

There's no requirement to do so, so I don't see anything wrong with leaving them up.

Rothmans wrote: »
    There's no requirement to do so, so I don't see anything wrong with leaving them up.

So what is the point of putting them on in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I don't have any problem leaving my son's (N plates now) up when I borrow his car, but they tend to attract more bully motorists.

For the motorist who actually is learning

For the motorist who actually is learning

How can that be if I don't know if the driver is a learner or not because some people are too lazy to remove them?

How can that be if I don't know if the driver is a learner or not because some people are too lazy to remove them?

It should make no odds to you whether someone is a learner or not. You should treat all drivers on the road with respect regardless of whether they are a learner or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

It should make no odds to you whether someone is a learner or not. You should treat all drivers on the road with respect regardless of whether they are a learner or not.

Let's just all get and display L plates at all times, even if we don't need them. Somehow, magically, they will still help those that are genuine learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do you want to thank them it's not as if the Gardai are stopping L plate drivers who drive unaccompanied. When they do stop them they let them off with a warning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

You still have to not be a cant to people, L plates or not, I can't see how this could impact you in any way whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can anyone explain why a car beeps you when u decide to overtake them and the way ahead is clear in front of you, what's their problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

fin12 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why a car beeps you when u decide to overtake them and the way ahead is clear in front of you, what's their problem?

You probably cut in front of them too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

True, but this is the real world.

Learner drivers are not meant to be on the motorway. Ive often seen cars with L plates up on motorway who may or may not be learner drivers. This is why i remove them. Also the fact that i would be an easy target for the guards to pull me over, even tho im fully licensed, insured and taxed, its the inconvenience of been pulled over all because i was too lazy to take off my L plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭dennyk

Speedwell wrote: »

I've got a set of the cling film L plates myself and they come on and off multiple times without much of an issue, though moistening them and cleaning off any dirt does help a lot. I only had 'em up for my EDT lessons and hopefully soon here for my test; outside of that I ain't a learner driver, just a hapless (but fully insured, taxed, and licensed) American visitor... :pac:

Advertisement