Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage photography. DOs and DON'Ts [request]

Options
  • 17-06-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

I've been asked to do some photography later this evening of a school-play (secondary level kids). I am eager to do this and broaden my skill-set a bit, but at the same time I would like to get some etiquette and technical tips before I start, so that I get the best shots possible.

'Chimping' is a no-no already, according to the online searches I've done. :)

I have a CANON EOS 600D camera and Metz 52 AF-1 flashgun. In terms of lenses, I have the Canon 50mm 1.8f and a Tamron SP 17-50mm. I shoot in RAW and have the tools on my computer to edit afterwards.

Glad for any pointers. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Chimping is the least of your worries......
    Leave the flash at home, push the ISO up and use your fastest lens - i.e. 50mm f1.8. Shoot manual, set your WB to whatever is nearest, keep your shutter speed no lower than 1/160 and try not jump around the place like a demented monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭galwayguy85

Thanks for those tips. I'll move stealthily through the night then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50 will be 80mm effective, a bit tight IMO depending on where you can move in the hall.

Check what the lighting is like, rear lights may flare the hell of you wide open but top lights won't be a problem provided you aren't directly under the stage.

Im not sure yet, where exactly I'll be in terms of position, relative to the stage. I attended the same venue last year, just as another viewer and I remember it being lit from above (the actors).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

As has been mentioned already flash would be a big no no for live performances in general. With the people on the stage usually being lit with stage lights you can actually shoot with reasonably low ISO. Here's a shot from a concert in the Bord Gais energy theatre and the exif data read Shutter speed 1/800 at f1.8 and ISO800 so in hindsight I could easily have dropped to ISO400/200 and compensated with lowering my shutter speed.

DSC06819.jpg

55mm Sony Zeiss lens on full frame camera so effectively 35mm equivalent on a crop sensor such as yours so you may need to choose your lens depending on how much you want to fit in the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are shooting RAW then do not worry about the White Balance at the time. You can easily adjust it later.

As said push up the ISO to get the exposure values you need, generally the lens wide open and a shutter speed to keep it sharp. The longer the lens the faster the shutter speed, so with the 50mm you will want to be above 1/100th second.

Shooting Manual is often best but the light intensity can vary quite quickly with different lights and effects. Use the Spot Metering to find the exposure for the faces or important subject. Check it often. I have used spot metering on the faces in Manual and set the ISO to auto and it worked quite well as long as the focus/exposure brackets were positioned correctly.

No Flash. It kills the stage lights and annoys everyone.

Hi CabanSail

Many thanks for those pointers. Much obliged, really.

When the performance is over, I'll post a handful of the images here (from flickr) for feedback.

Hi Folks.

I got a seat at the front of the auditorium and got some shots. A challenge with the lighting conditions - often times details were 'lost' on the actors' faces, but I soon corrected this by dialling down exposure compensation on the camera.

Some shots from the evening... and of course, one shot when the play was over with the flash-gun active. A train-wreck, though it's really the case that I need to study how to use it!

27190014593_80cdd82c6c_c.jpg

27725985001_8c05155df7_c.jpg

27189424674_bc0a8f9c81_c.jpg

27700524072_fff52230ce_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You have done quite well for a first attempt.

Shot 1 I would crop the left side.

The last shot with flash demonstrates how flat the images become.

Thanks for the feedback.

For the first shot I have alternate versions given to the school both with and without distractions (or people, otherwise) in the background. Removed in Photoshop easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement