Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to create a "batter" shape when trimming a hedge.

Options
  • 16-06-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I've got a box honeysuckle hedge to trim soon. I usually get a uniform result. However, rather than getting a vertical side surface (which I find easy to achieve) I'm trying to get a "batter", i.e. slightly narrower at the top than at the base. I'm using a petrol hedge trimmer. Is there a particular way to hold the tool so that my upward sweeps close into the hedge near the top?
    I've no problem getting a verticals sweep but I'm trying to get my technique refined so that my sweeps create this slightly sloped hedge-side.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have only trimmed a large conifer hedge in the shape you describe where the faces were already set up.

But even with that I had to take great care to hold the trimmer at the correct angle for fear of cutting into the face. I've seen people use a guideline of some sort to trim their hedges normally, so maby try a guideline/template at the angle you want the slope of the hedge to be at. maby a metal one that stands on its own

I would have concerns about cutting into the current hedge faces or are you going to use the top of the hedge as the starting point for the new slope?

Some advice here from the RHS when renovating a hedge may apply

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=398

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I find using a pole-hedger to be a lot better for uniformity but technique is more important than type of machine.

Personally, I cut from the bottom up, in a long, slow, gently-sloping movement (unless the hedge is already 90 degrees). I step forward and repeat the process. If the hedge is in a straight line, you just need to be aware of your movements: if your movements are the same, the hedge will be cut the same. After a few swipes, you'll know the position to adopt and you'll know by your own motion whether you're going too deep or too shallow. It'd be a lot easier to show you what I mean than explaining it...

You could also try trimming it vertically and then adding the camber after. Habits take a while to be altered, so maybe re-inventing the wheel isn't the best course for you? Go with what you know and make adjustments after...

Advertisement