Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Science GMIT

• 16-06-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Medical Science course in GMIT, specifically the mathematics; my sister is considering choosing medical science as her first choice however maths isn't her strong point. Could anyone tell me how much maths is involved, and how difficult it is?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Medical Science course in GMIT, specifically the mathematics; my sister is considering choosing medical science as her first choice however maths isn't her strong point. Could anyone tell me how much maths is involved, and how difficult it is?

Thank you!

Hi I'm not doing medical science myself but my girlfriend is. She did pass maths for the leaving cert last year and she said she got on really well in maths classes. Take into account that she got an a1 in pass though and should have been doing honours but didn't for whatever reason. None the less if maths isn't your sisters strong point she shouldn't worry as its only one module and things start pretty slow for the first few weeks your not just thrown into it. One thing I can say about this course looking from the outside in is that it seems very very tough. There's other subjects like human physiology and cell biology that look pretty hard. So maths should be the least of worries for your sister. If she works shell get on extremely well trust me.

Even in first year it doesn't seem like a course you can just take the pedal off on for a few weeks. Most students are constantly b****ing about it and when I mean most I mean nearly 90/. From the notes my girlfriend brings back though it does seem really interesting, I'm just more of a business guy.

If she's doing medical she'll probably have Etaine Kiely for maths. Nice woman from what I know although there's been a few people complaining, either way if she doesn't get on well she'll still be in safe hands as there's PASS (peer assisted student study). Basically 2nd years try and help 1st years. It's an underestimated buddy system but it's what you make of it as people generally don't go to many of them but it can be a real advantage for anyone who's struggling in a certain subject. The students that do pass are generally nice aswell and have most likely been in the same boat.

Anyways there really is no need for your sister to worry. I've seen lecture slides for maths in medical science and I've even sat in on 1 or 2 lectures (no one even noticed I was there) and I can tell you it's absolutely nothing to be worried about. It's basic ordinary level stuff. Obviously it gets a bit harder as the semester goes on but nothing your sister won't be able to handle. Oh btw if she's considering doing it in NUIG just remember that you won't be qualified to work in an actual hospital. Best of luck to her and tell her not to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 val man

In first year the mathematics was easy enough. The focus is on oil drum volumes, exponential growth and some statistics. I think that since I scored 70% in first year. I did leaving cert honours and got a C3 in rice college Ennis co. Clare. Also she can get grinds in maths if that is a problem. Is she any good at biology. I got a C1 in LC biology honours. The patient cases can be difficult and can have slight traps set in year 4 for picking a pathogen. In second year statistics differentiation, t-tests, Confidence intervals, linear regression, one-way and two-way anova, are done. Thank God there wasn't any integration.
    In third year there is a Quality management module that is also focused on theory of pharmacopoeia and standards in quality. 3rd year first half year I did the anovas. chi-square testing. First yr is more medical statistics but 95% of the class passed that. Second year gets slightly more difficult because there is a larger focus on quality statistics. Is your sister thinking of a job in quality management and statistics because there is a masters course in GMIT?
    In fourth year epidemiology and pathophysiology is a 5 credit module ( not so big as 15 credits although nice to score well). Epidemiological statistics were taught and I scored 35% in that because the class had to do a quiz online in protected mode. 10 minutes and 10 Qs. So we had to type in the correct answer only. Methodology to work out the answer was not taken into account. A lot of people managed to score really high in this even though I consider my aptitude to be high in mathematics.I passed the CA anyway with the MCQs in pathophysiology. C.A.s are worth 40%, exams 60%. It is good to start exam technique in first yr to develop exam writing stategy to prepare to do exams if you do not know much.
    First yr maths grade= 70%, physics first yr=70%, Statistics 2nd yr= 65-70%, 3rd yr Qaulity management= 68%, pathophysiology and epidemiology= 44% fourth yr. It is a good course but the four years are tough. First yr is the year to enjoy. Second year is the toughest. 3rd year is also tough because students go on hospital medical lab placements in second half of yr (26weeks) + paid in most cases. Fourth year modules are so broad, exams are marked even tougher so there is a huge step up in class. They now want proper content, flow, and context- ie story telling aptitude.

10 week research project at the end of 4rth yr. Make sure you calibrate the analyser with correct calibration material u dummy. Take control of your project and ask the right questions. Get yo literature review out of the way first, make the table contents and page numbers early. Prepare the poster presentation in week 5-7 approx to practise slightly. For the workbook buy one with page numbers. Make notes of assay principles, reagents + apparatus, methods, results, discussion, conclusion, slight background. Mostly focus on the dissertation because that is the bulk of the marks. Yr 2-4 are the years where you get to properly experience the medical modules so ring the lecturers and ask if you can come in for an interview or aptitude test. Unfortunately this course is not too chemistry focused and could be teaching biomaterials. One of the lecturers has experience in Python software and could teach python for bioinformatics. This course is not too academic and more practical for the chefs. A lot of learning is categorical learning. Cite them right online for me now is the best online free referencing tool that I used besides end-note but be careful. Cross-check your citations and references because end-note is damn slow but cites and references at the same time. To save time in microsoft word turn off spelling checker to speed up the typing process. Download MS word 2013 etc in student portal for free. Good luck and ask any questions if you have more Q.s.

Advertisement