Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginx - new sky eSports channel

Options
  • 16-06-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to Sean Moncrieff, and they mention a new 24 hr eSports channel launching on sky on 23rd of June.

link

I do watch a bit of twitch , so I will have a look at it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

It was only a matter of time esports are getting insanely popular, west ham signed some deal with a FIFA player and man utd were interested in signing some overwatch team.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of ratings they would get while showing some of the major tournaments as most people would be watching on twitch I assume.

Lmfao they expect you to pay to watch on the website :confused::D

No wonder it didn't work when I tried to watch it on FilmOn a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They have on here in Korea.
    There is a lot of repeating stuff though...and it's only the top games they they tend to show (LOL / DOTA2 , Overwatch will be coming ) and now and again some mobile games or reviews.

I only ever turn it on for the League of Legends. I don't know how popular it is among regular people.

The channel 'OGN' organise and sponsor the Korean League for LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A games show for 30 minutes cant sustain an audience for the last say 20 years on any channel (fair play to Sky they have tried with about 7)and a game(so fcuking boring to play and watch) that requires 57 clicks per second get a tv CHANNEL!! :confused:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And they cancel Videogame Nation to concentrate on this? was reading it wasn't cancelled due to viewing figures which were actually decent, but due to Challenge wanting to concentrate on more game shows and Ginx wanting to concentrate on esports

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I give this idea... two Gs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

So Sky are launching GINX 'esports' TV channel tonight at 8:30pm on channel 470. There's supposed to be a live launch although it's not showing in the Sky EPG yet.

I think it's an interesting move. Sky obviously have dollar signs in their eyes so I think it shows how big that whole scene could become, notwithstanding the fact that's it's already hugely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Apparently it's been delayed on Sky until tomorrow.
    Great start :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it coming only to Sky? Sorry, I never ever had any kind of TV related stuff ever since I moved to Ireland. Even if I do own 2 TVs :pac:

Misses has Virgin media with that sports channel package. Would it be on for here to or exclusive to sky?

Misses has Virgin media with that sports channel package. Would it be on for here to or exclusive to sky?

As far as I know it's being grouped together with the rest of Sky's own sports channels, so I imagine if your girlfriend has the sports pack it will be included. I seriously doubt its exclusive to Sky.

• Advertisement

There's a range of programming on over the weekend covering everything from Resident Evil to indie RPGs. It's quite strange seeing clips of Bloodborne and The Last Guardian on one of Sky's 'sports' channels.

I don't follow 'esports' but I'm familiar with the debate around its purported classification as a sport, and I must say I don't think this channel is going to positively contribute to it. It might shine a light on some of the competitions but it could also be ammunition for those that look down their nose on the entire concept.

I mean, I'm browsing through Sky's sports channels and what I get is a talking-head reminiscing about his favourite survival-horror boss fights.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Stumbled across this channel while scrolling through the Sky EPG earlier tonight desperate for anything of interest to watch (and I rarely get out of the 100s, so tonight was really desperate!). Will be interesting to see if there's going to be some interesting programming in the future that's actually going to make me want to specifically tune in, or at least set for recording on the + box.
    Is it coming only to Sky? Misses has Virgin media with that sports channel package. Would it be on for here to or exclusive to sky?
    Their site says it should be on Virgin 290, at least in the UK. Don't know if that would be the same here or not, though.
    Pickpocket wrote: »
    so I imagine if your girlfriend has the sports pack it will be included
    It's available on any package; since all we have here is the basic original bundle and I could access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Is this channel only for the UK and Ireland?

Doodleking wrote: »
    Is this channel only for the UK and Ireland?

Yeah that's my understanding.

Advertisement