Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service stations on/near the motorway network

Options
  • 16-06-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had the prostate removed and the expected side effects are as promised:)

I drive a fair bit work wise so I was interested in planning pitstops on the motor way network so as I can "re-nap" in some degree of comfort.
    The NRA sent me the attached, you could count them on one hand,and shows the continuing impact of the bypassed towns resistance to such facilities from day 1.

It might help someone.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

There's a Few Missing from that, J 14 on the M7 (Mayfield), and at J14 on the M8 (Amber in Fermoy, this is further than 500m though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also the Galway Plaza on the M6: online, Junction 16 - opened a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Midway on M7 @ J17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Applegreen on the Athlone bypass just east of the Shannon
    And the one at the start of the Athlone bypass, a little further from the mainline

There's the ones on the Mullingar bypass

There's an applegreen at the m1 Balbriggan south junction, which predates the NTA built ones 2km away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

On the M9 at J7 there is an Apple Green and between J2 and 3 there is going to be a services however it's taking a long time. New bridges and slip roads were installed but nobody know's much about the actual building. Expected to be Apple Green also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for those who haven't had the pleasure of reading the NRA documents on service station strategy, they consider a place to be a motorway services once it ticks a few boxes.
    One of them is that they cater for trucks, which eliminates Midway and that petrol station/ retail park at Athlone that many keep mentioning as being a reason that a proper (truck compatible) services isnt needed.

BTW, J14 on the M7 is there. Look closely and theres a yellow dot between J13 and J15, i.e. J14.

Maybe a new category would be needed like "offline services <1km on a stretch otherwise without services" which could incorporate the Amber in Fermoy. They have now upgraded their parking and it can cater comfortably for HGVs so its actually a superior facility to the clusterfck in Cashel which does get official recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

for those who haven't had the pleasure of reading the NRA documents on service station strategy, they consider a place to be a motorway services once it ticks a few boxes.
    One of them is that they cater for trucks, which eliminates Midway and that petrol station/ retail park at Athlone that many keep mentioning as being a reason that a proper (truck compatible) services isnt needed.

Many people might consider not having a trucks a bonus...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Midway is a food court, not a service station. No fuel pumps etc. There's not even a cash machine onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

The new maxol m3 petrol station and foodcourt just off mulhuddart.

There's a layby full of trucks there when I passed there the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Midway is a food court, not a service station. No fuel pumps etc. There's not even a cash machine onsite.
    Useful to know, but I'm sure it meets the OP's requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thomasj wrote: »
    The new maxol m3 petrol station and foodcourt just off mulhuddart.

There's a layby full of trucks there when I passed there the other day.
    Never heard of that one, but heres the info.
    https://www.maxol.ie/index.php?option=com_maxol_servicestation&srvaction=detail&Itemid=511&srv_activetab=list&srv_regionlist=Dublin&srv_shortname=475599&srvid=475599#475599

from the planning documents its fairly small and limited parking, but its still better than Cashel and no worse than some of the smaller motorway services you'd see on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe we could crowd-source a google map (or maybe someone has already done this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Also the Galway Plaza on the M6: online, Junction 16 - opened a while back

Would not call the online, close but technically off-line.
    And the one at the start of the Athlone bypass, a little further from the mainline

Kilmartins N6 Service station,

Advertisement