Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slipping clutch

Options
  • 16-06-2016 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi just looking for a bite of advise.

I got a new clutch in my car a month ago by the garage that I bought the car from. My own mechanic is now saying that it is starting to slip, he said when you drive it "hard" the rev's go up fast without any acceleration. I have seen it happen so he's right. The only thing is I highly doubt I have burnt out a clutch in a month, I don't clutch unnecessarily and I am conscious of it.

I rang the garage that I bought the car off and that fitted the clutch and he said that it was a bran new clutch and he will look at it but if he takes it out and its faulty he will replace it but if it is burnt out then he will charge me (fair enough) the only thing is I know he is going to ride me on the price as I got a good bit of work done before my warranty was out.

Would you chance getting him to do it or just get my own mechanic to do it and I fit the bill.

Also one last question, can you wear a clutch if the car is parked up and your foot is left leaning on the clutch, on my lunch break I eat in the car and I used to have a habit of having the car off and leaning on the clutch.... really stupid I know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Also one last question, can you wear a clutch if the car is parked up and your foot is left leaning on the clutch, on my lunch break I eat in the car and I used to have a habit of having the car off and leaning on the clutch.... really stupid I know...

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A clutch can slip for many reasons, but poor driver and incorrect fitting are the main reasons. Poor driving is straight forward, riding the clutch, you would notice a smell. Incorrect fitting, usually for a slipping clutch is the mechanic using too much or the wrong grease on the release bearing.

As for sitting with foot on the clutch during lunch, shouldn't be an issue of the engine is not running.

What car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

A clutch can slip for many reasons, but poor driver and incorrect fitting are the main reasons. Poor driving is straight forward, riding the clutch, you would notice a smell. Incorrect fitting, usually for a slipping clutch is the mechanic using too much or the wrong grease on the release bearing.

As for sitting with foot on the clutch during lunch, shouldn't be an issue of the engine is not running.

What car is it?

Hi thanks for your advise. It's a 09 focus. The lad I bought it from said its a brand new clutch - my mechanic said there is no way you could burn one out in 4 weeks unless you were clutching 24/7. I am just fearful to bring it back to garage as he will ride me with the price. But I don't wanna fit the bill myself if it is faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hi thanks for your advise. It's a 09 focus. The lad I bought it from said its a brand new clutch - my mechanic said there is no way you could burn one out in 4 weeks unless you were clutching 24/7. I am just fearful to bring it back to garage as he will ride me with the price. But I don't wanna fit the bill myself if it is faulty

I'll bet they only put a clutch disc in, instead of replacing the pressure plate too. Demand to see both if the garage starts messing you about, and have an experienced mechanic view both items. Ask what parts were replaced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's why it's important to check for service history to prove it. Then test drive it and see how it handles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'll bet they only put a clutch disc in, instead of replacing the pressure plate too. Demand to see both if the garage starts messing you about, and have an experienced mechanic view both items. Ask what parts were replaced too.

You can be pretty sure this is what happened. Take this lads advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I'll bet they only put a clutch disc in, instead of replacing the pressure plate too.

It is near on impossible to get a disc only. Sachs, Exedy & LUK, who would be OE on most cars, would sell minimum Disc and cover and that is normally when the release bearing is a hydraulic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It is near on impossible to get a disc only. Sachs, Exedy & LUK, who would be OE on most cars, would sell minimum Disc and cover and that is normally when the release bearing is a hydraulic one.

We supply discs in our place. Granted, a kit is way more popular, but there's still a demand for a disc on its own. And we both know the only vehicles they go into are sales yokes to get them out the door.

I purposely didn't mention the release bearings, which nowadays can cost more than the accompanying 2 piece kit. That's another argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It won't burn clutch but it's a bad habit as when you press clutch pedal you push against the diaphragm and this will wear slightly on the diaphragm spring.

It's explained here so I don't have to write it all down

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's why it's important to check for service history to prove it. Then test drive it and see how it handles etc.

I did... I went on cartell and found out later its no worth anything! Drove it and it seemed fine etc...

• Advertisement

Thanks! The outcome is I rang the garage said that my own mechanic (he's my cousin) would look at it, if he thinks its damaged in any way I will send it up to him, if it's not then I will take the blame ( I will be shocked if its burnt out)

I will ask the cousin to check and see if it is only discs.. will keep you updated!

So.... I dropped the car to the garage I bought it in after he fobbed me off for two months, I have 13K miles on it since I bought it in January. The "new" three part clutch was put in at the end of April. As the clutch was done in warrenty (it ended at the end of April) he promised he would look at it for me. He drove it up his avenue and rang my B/F and said " she was way too many miles put up on the car we won't even look at it" My BF said but you didn't even take the clutch out to look at it so how do you know its not faulty and he said " ye are on yer own I am a mechanic for 35 years and I know by driving it it's burnt out"

My own mechanic said that's all bull, I don't really have a leg to stand on do I? I am now going to be out of pocket for a clutch and not my injector has gone in the car (not his fault I know)

Any advise welcome!!

Advertisement