Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 year old wood floors, under floor insulation

Options
  • 15-06-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My floor boards are 100 years old, tongue in groove and are in good condition.

There is a 2-3 ft crawl space under the floor.

However, the draughts are terrible, even with rugs.

I don't want to lift the boards to insulate as the would be damaged.

Has anyone experience of spray foam in this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm pretty sure that you need a space between floor and sub floor. This should be vented for to allow the timber floor breath. I'm happy for someone with more knowledge to correct me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I agree its probably not a good idea to seal the floor from below. The reason its lasted the 100 years is due to the "ventilation". You can't block off the exterior vents either but you might stop the wind blowing directly into the vents with a panel that only lets air in from below placed over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There are lots of solutions for sealing up the gaps between the floor boards, from wedges of matching wood which can be hammered into the gaps through to liquid sealants and simple plastic v shapes which slide into the gaps and are pushed down to be invisible. An old fashioned solution would be using strips of newspaper...

Advertisement