Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of Fredricton, New Brunswick?

Options
  • 14-06-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Feel free to move or close it as appropriate.

So there's a chance I'll be doing study abroad in the University of New Brunswick as part of the law school.

This obviously means I'd be living there for the academic year. Specifically in Fredricton.

It's such a small place that I only know 3 people who've even heard of New Brunswick itself. The information I've been able to find online while helpful and informative in its own way is quite general.

Therefore I was wondering if any users had personal experience of Fredricton or even New Brunswick whether through a short stay or living there and if they'd be able to share with me what life is like over there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My colleague lived there for 6 years or so. If you have specific questions, I can pass them on to her?

I can tell you that she enjoyed it there. It is a small town, but it sounded like a good place to have a close-knit student experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Faith wrote: »
    My colleague lived there for 6 years or so. If you have specific questions, I can pass them on to her?

I can tell you that she enjoyed it there. It is a small town, but it sounded like a good place to have a close-knit student experience.

Thanks very much for the offer. I suppose I'm not entirely sure on specific questions myself really. It's mostly the usual stuff like the weather, the nightlife, what the cost of living is like, standard of public transport etc. I suppose it's basically anything that would be handy to know while living there!

Thanks again.

I'll ask her tomorrow, but I know it's a small town. The nightlife is mostly student bars, afaik. It has a typical East Coast climate - sunny, freezing, snowy winters; hot, sticky summers. I think it only has those two seasons. Cost of living is very low, and I'd be surprised if there is any public transport to speak of. She said today that you can walk around the entire town very easily, and she said it's a wonderful place to study in (but not to live long term).

I'll ask her tomorrow, but I know it's a small town. The nightlife is mostly student bars, afaik. It has a typical East Coast climate - sunny, freezing, snowy winters; hot, sticky summers. I think it only has those two seasons. Cost of living is very low, and I'd be surprised if there is any public transport to speak of. She said today that you can walk around the entire town very easily, and she said it's a wonderful place to study in (but not to live long term).

Thanks very much, that's a great start already!

Yeah, she confirmed what I posted about. Nightlife is a mix of bars and some clubs. It's a student town, so it reflects that. There are a couple of very infrequent buses, but you'd be faster walking anywhere. Weather is as described. It can drop to -20 or -30 in the winter, and up to about 35 in the summer. And yeah, cost of living is very low. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

Yeah, she confirmed what I posted about. Nightlife is a mix of bars and some clubs. It's a student town, so it reflects that. There are a couple of very infrequent buses, but you'd be faster walking anywhere. Weather is as described. It can drop to -20 or -30 in the winter, and up to about 35 in the summer. And yeah, cost of living is very low. Hope that helps!

Very helpful, thanks very much!

Advertisement