Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about several subjects (5th year, going into 6th year)

Options
  • 14-06-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Here I go, I'll try not make this into a big long spiel. Okay so I've just finished 5th year and I'm having doubts about the subjects I've chosen. I do Biology, Chemistry and Art, all HL. I went with my gut when choosing them and decided on three that I was interested in but now I'm not so sure. Biology is great but Chemistry has been going awfully, our teacher is a mess and won't do any experiments. But I think if I knuckle down I can get all the info learned, but it's with art and English where I'm most worried, as it's not what you've learned over the two years that matters but what happens on the day. Both are so dodgy and I'm dreading coming out with less points than what I've worked for. In English for example all my classwork has been great so far and my proficiency in the language has greatly improved, but in a test situation I panic, never have enough time and barely get any of the questions done with my writing becoming almost illegible.
    So I guess what I'm asking is what's the best way to improve these "on the day" subjects or would I be better to just take up another subject where if I work hard I can guarantee a good mark I.e applied maths or agscience (I'm told there's a lot of crossover with Biology)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Oisin4 wrote: »
    Here I go, I'll try not make this into a big long spiel. Okay so I've just finished 5th year and I'm having doubts about the subjects I've chosen. I do Biology, Chemistry and Art, all HL. I went with my gut when choosing them and decided on three that I was interested in but now I'm not so sure. Biology is great but Chemistry has been going awfully, our teacher is a mess and won't do any experiments. But I think if I knuckle down I can get all the info learned, but it's with art and English where I'm most worried, as it's not what you've learned over the two years that matters but what happens on the day. Both are so dodgy and I'm dreading coming out with less points than what I've worked for. In English for example all my classwork has been great so far and my proficiency in the language has greatly improved, but in a test situation I panic, never have enough time and barely get any of the questions done with my writing becoming almost illegible.
    So I guess what I'm asking is what's the best way to improve these "on the day" subjects or would I be better to just take up another subject where if I work hard I can guarantee a good mark I.e applied maths or agscience (I'm told there's a lot of crossover with Biology)

Well first of all, for Chemistry get yourself a revision guide and a set of exam papers and revise everything from fifth year over the Summer. Make sure to be comfortable with the 5th year course heading into sixth year if you're looking for a good result here.

In terms of English, practice makes perfect. It doesn't sound like you're actually struggling with English just the timing and exam situations. Just practice exam questions with a timer from September onwards. Eventually you'll get the hang of it and you'll get better and better at doing them.

For Art, tbh I don't know anything about the Art course so I can't help you there. If you do intend to drop it, just know that taking up a different subject is a huge undertaking. You couldn't just take up Ag Science either as you'll need to have a teacher to sign off and say you've done your own coursework which makes up a percentage of your leaving cert. Also while Applied Maths is a short enough course, you'd really want Physics and/or Honours Maths to do it alone. Maybe Economics or Business or another theory-based subject might be easier for you to take up as they're very much rote-learning rather than understanding. If you can though, I'd advise sticking with Art. Much easier than taking up a new subject in only a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

I did art and for the whole leaving cert year the only stress it caused me was the 3 weeks before the exam when you're getting your preps done. Remember that every subject is how you perform on the day not just art. The good thing about art is that your marks are spilt up between the 3 different aspects of your practical and your art history exam. It's a great relief to have 60% of one of your subjects done in early May. To score well in your practical all you can do is practise throughout the year and nail down what medium suits you best for the still life/life drawing. Best of luck in 6th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

What did you get in art if you don't mind me asking? Never heard of anyone getting an A, beggining to think they're an urban myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Only doing art history today so won't know that until August unfortunately! Hoping for around a B2, yeah it's the hardest subject to get an A in, only something crazy like 2% of people get an A! It's not the best subject in that respect if you're chasing very high points but I never regretted picking it. It was nice to have a class to go to where I was just drawing/painting for 40 mins, gave me a break from staring at a book/board.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Yeah the relaxing aspect is why I kept it up so far, hope the history exam went well :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement