Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour: Constant Noise

Options
  • 13-06-2016 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some general advice on how to handle my neighbour. We are living in adjoining houses.

I've been living here for 6 months and have had no issues until now. Basically my neighbour is running mutiple washing machines and tumble dryers constantly, 24/7.

The noise is a low-level constant hum and vibration. I have tried to ignore it but after 2 weeks it is really wearing me down especially at night as it keeps me from sleeping.

I know I'll have to talk to her but what is the best approach to take. I'm afraid of this escalating into something much worse.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I doubt theres much you can do on this purely on a noise basis, as a low humm of a washing machine would not exceed and decibile level regulations anyway.

That said, its extremely strange.... are you suggesting they have more than one washing machine in the house? and that multiple machines are constantly running? Are they trying to run some sort of a business out of a domestic premises? Do you have any idea whats caused this to suddenly start up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Thanks Sarah,
    Yes it is very strange and I have no proof of this but I do think it is possible that she is running some kind of laundry business. I can see a tumble dryer in an upstairs bedroom and from the noise I think there's a washing machine upstairs too. The kitchen in these houses is quite big so there's no reason not to have a washing machine in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

M.Pool wrote: »
    Thanks Sarah,
    Yes it is very strange and I have no proof of this but I do think it is possible that she is running some kind of laundry business. I can see a tumble dryer in an upstairs bedroom and from the noise I think there's a washing machine upstairs too. The kitchen in these houses is quite big so there's no reason not to have a washing machine in the kitchen.

While traditionally you will probably find most people will have their washing machine in the kitchen, that might not always be the case, and not for space reasons.

I have a friend for example that will not put clothes out on the line to dry and will either hang them straight in the hotpress to dry or use the dryer which is located in the hotpress. Her washing machine is upstairs and tbh for her it makes sense. the clothes go into the laundry basket upstairs, get washed upstairs, get dried upstairs and go back into the wardrobes upstairs (not sure where the ironing takes places :pac:)

You're right they could put the washing machine anywhere they want but the problem is that it is running 24/7, constantly rumbling and whirring away, it literally never stops. I can still hear it over the tv or music. I hadn't noticed any of this noise until 3 weeks ago so that leads me to think that these are new extra machines which she's had installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I wonder if this is my old neighbour who we had to have evicted she was such a nightmare. Sounds like they may be related. Washing machine running 24/7 - day and night - cars pulling up with about 10 black binliners full of washing, children not going to school & folding clothes & iorning in the window from duak til dawn for about a year..? Yea - there is quite a lot you can do. Get their name - letter or parcel delivered, from the postman - or neighbour - you need that. Document the times, disruption, noise & type - eg loud banging from machine for 2 uninterrupted hours from 3am-5am followed by 20 minutes if accellerated banging against adjoining wall - repeated at X & Y &Z times in similar cycles etc
    Get their name from the postman & send them registered letter requesting them to stop. Cc landlord if appropriate. Then knock to talk - if it continues follow up with a second registered letter & documentation. Then try talk again. Then go down to the local district court and pick up a noise complaint form & copy all this documentation with a letter saying how you have tried to deal with it Amicably to no avail . Once you are seen to be reasonable & have approached the person over a period of time to try and reconcile the situation the judge will typically make a jusgement in your favour. You don't need a solicitor, it used cost about e10 to ask for the court date, you show your letters/proof & ralk to the jusge in plain english - it is extremely standard & the turnaround is very quick. Its a noise & nuisance law under the dept of the environment & the local garda station will usually also be able to give you the form. Its the standard text & law cited on the council dog warden leaflets for constantly barking dogs. same law. Just follow their guide. Having a neighbour support you can also help - even if they co-sign the letter, or someone else in the house.

He/she (neighbour) might also respond if they know revenue or social welfare might be interested in a business run 24/7 from the premises - are they paying business rates on the house or in compliance with workplace health & safety regulations. Do they have a statement of tax compliance for revenue on the business? You can't sleep. ...
    Don't report them - they will just get cut iff if they are on welfare & recieving undeclared income - just imply you might because of the noise - that might focus them. Tbh uts a total nightmare & the best you can hope for is that they run it from a friends house instead & move out after the lease runs out. Otherwise you have to get serious with them & get an judgement taken out against them. The person who does this to a neighbouring family is a serious dick - non stop noise is a nightmare. :(

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. You just described the set-up to a T; cars pulling up constantly, machines running 24/7 . Tumble drier hose out the front upstairs window. No kids ironing thank god. I'm sorry you had to go through this awful experience as well. Not being able to sleep is the worst part. I don't begrudge anyone making a bit of money but to do this when you've an adjoining neighbour is as you say taking the p***. I feel a bit better now I know there's something I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

M.Pool wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. You just described the set-up to a T; cars pulling up constantly, machines running 24/7 . Tumble drier hose out the front upstairs window. No kids ironing thank god. I'm sorry you had to go through this awful experience as well. Not being able to sleep is the worst part. I don't begrudge anyone making a bit of money but to do this when you've an adjoining neighbour is as you say taking the p***. I feel a bit better now I know there's something I can do.
    Also report this activity here anonymously. Revenue will sort it quicker.

https://www.ros.ie/online-enquiry-web/goodCitizen;rjsessionid=B33B3451A26CB1DD5264A7CAAA0AC44A?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wonder if this is my old neighbour who we had to have evicted she was such a nightmare. Sounds like they may be related. Washing machine running 24/7 - day and night - cars pulling up with about 10 black binliners full of washing, children not going to school & folding clothes & iorning in the window from duak til dawn for about a year..? Yea - there is quite a lot you can do. Get their name - letter or parcel delivered, from the postman - or neighbour - you need that. Document the times, disruption, noise & type - eg loud banging from machine for 2 uninterrupted hours from 3am-5am followed by 20 minutes if accellerated banging against adjoining wall - repeated at X & Y &Z times in similar cycles etc
    Get their name from the postman & send them registered letter requesting them to stop. Cc landlord if appropriate. Then knock to talk - if it continues follow up with a second registered letter & documentation. Then try talk again. Then go down to the local district court and pick up a noise complaint form & copy all this documentation with a letter saying how you have tried to deal with it Amicably to no avail . Once you are seen to be reasonable & have approached the person over a period of time to try and reconcile the situation the judge will typically make a jusgement in your favour. You don't need a solicitor, it used cost about e10 to ask for the court date, you show your letters/proof & ralk to the jusge in plain english - it is extremely standard & the turnaround is very quick. Its a noise & nuisance law under the dept of the environment & the local garda station will usually also be able to give you the form. Its the standard text & law cited on the council dog warden leaflets for constantly barking dogs. same law. Just follow their guide. Having a neighbour support you can also help - even if they co-sign the letter, or someone else in the house.

He/she (neighbour) might also respond if they know revenue or social welfare might be interested in a business run 24/7 from the premises - are they paying business rates on the house or in compliance with workplace health & safety regulations. Do they have a statement of tax compliance for revenue on the business? You can't sleep. ...
    Don't report them - they will just get cut iff if they are on welfare & recieving undeclared income - just imply you might because of the noise - that might focus them. Tbh uts a total nightmare & the best you can hope for is that they run it from a friends house instead & move out after the lease runs out. Otherwise you have to get serious with them & get an judgement taken out against them. The person who does this to a neighbouring family is a serious dick - non stop noise is a nightmare. :(

what was the outcome for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well he said the neighbour was evicted, so that's probably your answer.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Also report this activity here anonymously. Revenue will sort it quicker.

https://www.ros.ie/online-enquiry-web/goodCitizen;rjsessionid=B33B3451A26CB1DD5264A7CAAA0AC44A?execution=e1s1

Revenue aren't going to stop anything. They will request a tax return to be made etc but they aren't going to shut them down even if they aren't tax compliant. You are also assuming they aren't tax compliant they may well be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If she's renting, then you need to get onto the landlord. There can be significant implications if there is a business being run form the house. It's typically a condition of the lease that no business activities are carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seagull wrote: »
    If she's renting, then you need to get onto the landlord. There can be significant implications if there is a business being run form the house. It's typically a condition of the lease that no business activities are carried out.
    Also, ask the landlord if his house insurance allows the house to be used for business purposes?

Advertisement