Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy with 3 months notice

Options
  • 13-06-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have 3 month's notice in my employment contract. I have been with the company for 4 years. If I get made redundant, is my redundancy:
    - 3 months + statutory redundancy payment?
    - Redundancy payment irrespective of my notice period?
    - The longer of notice period or statutory redundancy period?

In other words, is there any benefit in having 3 months notice when it comes to redundancy?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

You will be paid as normal for your three months notice and the will get your statutory (and any ex gratia) on top of that. You will get two weeks per year statutory capped at 1200 per year plus one extra week

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Your statutory redundancy is 2 weeks per year plus 1 week.

The fact that you have a notice period in you contract means that any payment in respect of this notice period is subject to tax as wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The benefit really is that you can spend time putting together a good CV with your relevant skills listed while you still have access to everything you need to list out exactly what you do.

Its better than just being shown the door - you have a 3 month head start on job hunting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No you just get more notice, you'll work the three months, be paid as normal and then get your redundancy payment.

Unless they put you on gardening leave, in which case they have to pay you the three months but you don't work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And you get to stew over the fact that you'll soon be redundant for three months - but have to stay there the full time to get the payout. If someone offers you a job earlier, then you've got the tough call between accepting the new job and losing your payout, or passing it up and waiting.

Could be a very demoralising, personally destructive three months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

And you get to stew over the fact that you'll soon be redundant for three months - but have to stay there the full time to get the payout. If someone offers you a job earlier, then you've got the tough call between accepting the new job and losing your payout, or passing it up and waiting.

Could be a very demoralising, personally destructive three months.

If someone offers you a job earlier you just tell them you can't start til X date.

I found it a very useful (2 months) in my case. I got a really good CV together with input from colleagues and bosses. I took extra long lunches and wandered about chatting to people I'd not see again. It's basically pay for doing very little.

I also investigated exactly what I'd need for social welfare and was up there the day after I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Relax and take it easy at work for three months. Play some computer games. Read the paper. What are they going to do, fire you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PayrollM

If you get offered a job during the notice, you can with the consent of your employer, leave prior to the full notice, and still get the redundancy payment. You need to use the forms RP6 and you also need to watch for the actual Redundancy Notice Period. You should call/email the Workplace relations(.ie)/1890 80 80 90 to double check what needs to be done as it will vary depending on circumstance

Advertisement